Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BlackBerry App World requires that your device radio is turned on to continue.

[ Edited ]

LaurieMac, sorry I didn't follow up on this earlier. If you only have WiFi on your BlackBerry, there is a link in this thread to which you can go using your BlackBerry browser to download over the air the Bridge application.

read this

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Get-BlackBerry-Bridge-for-your-BlackBerry...

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: Koodo

Re: BlackBerry App World requires that your device radio is turned on to continue.

Hey JSanders

Don't be sorry for not following up as I had given up.  However, with the link you provided, I was able to download bridge and install it in my phone and it worked perfectly.  Thank you so much. 

New Contributor

Hi Xandrex

I was able to get brdge from from a source other than appworld.  It sure would be nice to be able to connect to appworld and get the occaisional app though.

According to about device my phone is runing version v6.0.0.534

I am in Canada.

The device came from Koodo which is really Telus.

If you could help me figure out how to connect to appworld, I would be most appreciative.

Thank you in advance.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

AppWorld can be used in Canada. So you should contact Koodo/Telus support and ask them how to install the AppWorld.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:

[ Edited ]

Lauriemac, re: AppWorld:

LaurieMac wrote:

No, I do not have a data plan as I wanted to use the phone with my wifi. 

If you read the requirements for AppWorld, it requires you have the BlackBerry Data Plan on your account. AppWorld will not work using a WiFi connection only.

This link:  http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/appworld/download.jspSystem 

To ensure that your BlackBerry smartphone will support BlackBerry App World, it must have the following:

• BlackBerry App World 2.1 requires BlackBerry® Device Software v4.5 or higher. BlackBerry App World 3.1 requires BlackBerry® Device Software v5.0 or higher (Click "options", then "about" from your smartphone to check your version). Learn how to update your device software
  • A trackpad, trackball or touch screen
  • A service plan that includes access to the BlackBerry® Browser

That, in red, does not include using an "only WiFi" connection or the WiFi hotspot browser.

Alternatively, you can download many apps from sources like mobihand.com and handango.com

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Hi JSanders

Thank you for the info.  It is unfortunate that Blackberry has designed appworld to function with those limits.  From an end user perspective, it appears Blackberry is forcing their customers to purchase data plans.  Might be a good way of making their devices seem more attractive to mobile service providers, but I think the end user will remember their negative experience and when they buy their next phone, they could very well switch to an android.  With all the problems that Blackberry is having, if I were running Blackberry, I would make fixing appworld my number one priority.  User satisfaction is ultimately going to determine whether the user becomes a repeat customer.

Anyway, thank you so much for your help.  I do appreciate it.

LaurieMac wrote:

From an end user perspective, it appears Blackberry is forcing their customers to purchase data plans. 

Yep, of course they are... using BlackBerry AppWorld, you're using BlackBerry Data, hence you should pay for that data.

Apple requires a data plan ON their iPhone, same difference.

And, since the mobile providers provide the customer support for AppWorld, if you did get use of AppWorld on WiFi data only, you'd have no support.

Anyway, I DO understand your wants and needs... but at least for now, it just doesn't work that way.

Knowledge Base Updates
My Device: 9360
My Carrier: Sun Cellular

Im having the same issue. Please help me.

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: 02

Hey, I've read this thread but I've downloaded apps before and I don't have a plan, I use a USB into my Mac but now I'm getting the same error message, any help?

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: 02

All I want to do is download Whatsapp so I can talk to my girlfriend whilst she is on holiday, my phone can't connect to WiFi either... I've been looking through the errors on this forum, it seems as if my phone has every single one.