Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: BB Bold 9700 (3G, WiFi) v5.0.0.330 (platform 5.1.0.91)
My Carrier: T-Mobile

BlackBerry Bold 9700 Traditional and Simplified Chinese Language Support – Very Easy

I did this and I can now:

> Read emails in Traditional Chinese, and Simplified Chinese on my BlackBerry Bold 9700

> Visit Chinese websites, and see all the proper characters in Traditional/Simplified Chinese

This is what I did:

1) Download BlackBerry Desktop Manager v5.0.1 (from BB official website or CD), and install the program.

2) Launch the Desktop Mamager v5.0.1

3) Connect your BlackBerry Bold 9700 to the computer with USB cable.

4) The Desktop manager should find the BlackBerry Bold 9700 automatically, and if successful, it'll prompt you that the device is connected.

5) From the Desktop Manager “Main Menu”, click “Application Loader”

6) Scroll-down to “East Asian Character and Font Support”, you will see the checkbox for: Traditional Chinese Character and Font Support --and Simplified Chinese Character and Font Support

7) Select and check the box of the language you would like to install to your BlackBerry Bold 9700.

8) Click “Next”, and wait for the application to install automatically, the loading speed varies depends on how fast your computer is.

Hope this post is helpful, have a great day!

- owner of BB Bold 9700 (carrier: T-Mobile US)
- if my post solved your problem, please click & "accept as solution"
- if you find my posts helpful, please be kind to click "kudos" star
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BlackBerry Bold 9700 Traditional and Simplified Chinese Language Support – Very Easy

Great tutorial. thanks.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Re: BlackBerry Bold 9700 Traditional and Simplified Chinese Language Support – Very Easy

A very interesting thing happen today, that drawn my attention...

I received an email form my co-worker, and as i scroll down the email body, I found a signature box (as this email was forwarded to me) in Korean text.  My instincts reacted immediately by checking to see if Korean Web pages can be viewed as well, so I use the phone browser and went on a Korean news site, guess what..... the page was loaded in full Korean content.  Then I took it further, to a Japanese news site, and the page was loaded in full Japanese content.

Maybe the language pack that I've installed (Traditional and Simplified Chinese Language Support) has included Korean and Japanese language support (although I remember I  didn't select the Korean and Japanese check-box).  Don't know why and how this is happening, but I assume the Chinese language support might be a "multi-Asian language support."

Conclusion: my installation of the Traditional and Simplified Chinese Language Support, also supported KOREAN and JAPANESE language

I think this is a great news to share with the BB community, hope users may find this reply somewhat useful.

I'm enjoying this great powerful new BlackBerry Bold 9700!

My Device: 9700 Bold
My Carrier: China Mobile

But .. can you input any chinese??

would you mind to give us the version of device software you installed on your computer?

thanks!

My Device: 9700
My Carrier: t-mobile

Looking for BlackBerry Bold 9700 INPUT Traditional and Simplified Chinese Language Support

I got the BB9700 three days ago and have a difficulty to find the INPUT (for write) software for Chinese Traditional and Simplified Language. Pls advice and highly appreciated.

For read Chinese Traditional and Simplified Language I found on the Desktop Manager .

Thank you.

Contributor

Actually I don't have much need to type Chinese (Traditional/Simplified) on my BB Bold 9700. I just need to be able to read the Chinese charactered emails, and visit Chinese websites (from time to time). If the message is urgent, I just call back, if it's not urgent, then I just reply when I'm at a desktop computer, more comfortable on the keyboards.

Besides, there are many different Chinese input methods (Pingying, Microsoft Phonetics, Chang Jie, etc...).  Chinese form Mainland, Honk Kong, Taiwan all use different input methods, it is not yet standardized so I would imagine the difficulties creating a standard BB software for Chinese input.  If BB came out with a standard input method, then people would probably ask for BB Chinese character keyboards (Mainland keyboard, Hong Kong keyboard, Taiwan Keyboard), it can go on and on.....

I'm satisfied for now, to be able to ready my Chinese emailsMan Very Happy

I think I've seen on other BB community forum about the Chinese input methods, but not yet looked into, or played around with it yet, maybe other users can look into it and shareSmiley Wink

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700

My BB actually supports Chinese now, but it's only for emails and webbrowsing though. The Chinese songs in my BB media player are still under blocks and codes? Is there anyway to fix that?

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700
My Carrier: Telkomsel

Hello MisurA,

I've read your post about Chinese Language Support and I'd do it succesfull. But, it just can to read, can not to write (type) in Chinese. Do you or anybody know how to fix my problem? I want to write (type) in Chinese for my Blackberry Bold 9700.

Please share to me the software or how the way is.

Thanks..

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Etisalat

Hi

I bought my 9700 from middle east region.

I am a mac user.

I can't find this fareast language item from the list.

Please advice me how to do .

So that I can display Chinese at least.

Thanks

Contributor

hi parkertseng,

did you followed the steps that I've provided in this post?

if not, pls try it first, and see if it works.

note: very important to first download the BB desktop manager, and connect your 9700 to the desktop manager.  Good luck!