Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Blackberry Bold 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone

BlackBerry Bold 9780 Tethering

I am using a BlackBerry Bold 9780 running v6.0.0.294 and would like to know if there is any way to use it for tethering to a laptop, either wirelessly or with a USB cable please?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG853), Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BlackBerry Bold 9780 Tethering

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

There are multiple definitions of the word "tethering" in this regard, but if you mean to use your BB, via USB/BT, as a modem for your computer to access the internet (via your BBs mobile data network connection), then start here:

• KB05178 Support for tethered modem use

An alternative, if your BB OS is new enough (6 is not...7.1 is the required level), is to make your BB function as a WiFi HotSpot:

• KB31857 How to setup and manage a Mobile Hotspot Connection

Both of these functions have many dependencies, not the least of which is support from your mobile service provider...if that service is not allowed by them, then there's nothing you can to do overcome that.

All of that said, if by "tethering", you meant something else (e.g., the ability to treat your BB as a USB drive from your computer), then please expand on exactly the function you desire to perform.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: BlackBerry Bold 9780 Tethering

Thanks for your response. It's the first option I'm looking to do - using the BB to give my laptop a connection to the internet, so I'll try following the options you've given.

Many thanks.