Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

BlackBerry Bold 9900 - possible microphone issue

Hi,

My BlackBerry Bold 9900 was working perfectly well yesterday. Today, after work, when I made a phone call, the person on the other end could not hear me at all. I can hear them fine, and I can even hear myself echoing in the phone but all the person I called could hear was a few isolated sounds similar to static. I tried calling several people and no one could hear me. They called me, they still couldn't hear me. It isn't an issue with the other callers' phones as theirs' work just fine.

I've tried a battery pull a bunch of times, I've tried a memory wipe, I've tried a hard restore and I've tried a clean restore. Nothing has worked.

My phone is still under warranty so if it is a problem with the microphone, it's not that big of a deal to get it fixed but I just want to be sure it isn't something else that I can fix myself before I take it in.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: BlackBerry Bold 9900 - possible microphone issue

Hi katejs,

Welcome to the Support Community!

I'm not sure if you have done so already, but I would recommend backing up and doing a clean reinstall of your BlackBerry® Device Software. For further steps, please see the following KB articles.

For Windows®: "How to perform a clean reload of the BlackBerry Device Software for Windows" http://bbry.lv/GI9beY
For Mac: "Perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software on a Mac computer" http://bbry.lv/J0UN1U

Please test to make sure the issue has been resolved before restoring any data from your backup file. If this does not resolve the issue, then it will have ruled out software and data as possible causes. In that case, it would be hardware related.

Thanks,

-FS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone Australia

Hello, I am having exactly the same problem as of a few months ago, I have updated the OS (which took forever) and it still is a problem. I kept thinking people were crazy telling me they couldn't hear me until I left a message on my voicemail! The only thing that seems to work is turning the phone on and off. Which is obviously not a long term solution! 

Normally I am proud to show off my blackberry, so I hate telling my ifriends that it's having problems because they all laugh and tell me I deserve it for buying such an old school phone : (  

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

I sent mine to get fixed because it's still under warranty. I have it back and it works now.
It turns out the microphone or whatever became disconnected so that's why none of the methods FrankieS mentioned helped me. And if pulling your battery has helped fix the issue even for a little bit, yours might be a software issue so u should try the methods. Battery pull did nothing to fix my phone. Good luck and I still love my BB. Every phone has issues whether it's an BB, Android, iPhone, etc.
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone Australia

To be honest, even turning it off and on didn't produce amazing results. I tried leaving a voice note with the phone and with the handsfree kit and there was a huge difference. I did update to the latest OS and still had problems. Anyway, my phone is still under warranty so I've sent it back, fingers crossed it's ok. Don't get me wrong I still love my BB, although my BB crew is progressively diminishing with my GF *eyeroll* being the latest casualty! (Possibly therefore soon to be exGF)