Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

BlackBerry Curve 8520 BIS not connected

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I got a BlackBerry Curve 8520 at work and for some reason my BIS is not working, it says not connected and I cannot manage to fix it. The below is what I did so far.

1. Verified with my carrier (MTEL.BG) that I have all necessary data serivices enabled.

2. Restarted the handheld a couple of times (battery pull and waited 30 secs).

3. Resed to factory settings.

Tried to register my device using Host Routing Tables (the table is empty) but nothinh happen.

Called Tech support and they attempted to register my devide without success. They said that probably my handheld have a defect and to replace it.

Somehow I believe that either my carrier or me are missing something and this must be fixable.

Any ideas?

EDIT: My phone signal is always edge but I noticed that workmates (with BIS working) have EDGE instead.

Thanks in advance!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BlackBerry Curve 8520 BIS not connected

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

A few thoughts...

Cabeza2000 wrote:

I got a BlackBerry Curve 8520 at work and for some reason my BIS is not working, it says not connected

Since this is "at work", is it a BES-level BB? If so, then you will need to check with your BES admins...it is possible for them to block BIS services via IT Policy.

Cabeza2000 wrote:

Tried to register my device using Host Routing Tables (the table is empty) but nothinh happen.

That is very indicative. You should receive one message from your carrier when you register the HRT. If not received, then no other things will work. So this must be resolved first.

I suggest, as above, that you talk to your BES admins.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Has your service provider registered the PIN/IMEI of your device on their system... and to your account?

Did they say anything about the PIN being bad, suspended or blocked?

Is the BlackBerry brand new... purchased from where?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Hi Sdgardne,

Thanks for a extremely fast reply. Please notice that I have edited my post with some additional information.

My company IT is in charge to configure BES (also not done yet so no connected) but first they need to configure BIS, they are no really BB experts so they work directly with the carrier the same as a I do. They are not blocking BIS for sure.

The annoying part is that other guys got the same device on the same day and for all of them is working.

Thanks for your answer about HRT... I know other guys managed to do this, but nothing for me. It may have any relationship with the fact that I have edge and they have EDGE?

Thanks,

Cabeza2000

New Contributor

Hi Jsanders,

Thanks for a fast response.

JSanders wrote:

Has your service provider registered the PIN/IMEI of your device on their system... and to your account?

Did they say anything about the PIN being bad, suspended or blocked?

Is the BlackBerry brand new... purchased from where?

1. Altought I cannot be dead certain about PIN/IMEI, I do know that I did checked with the service provider and they said I have all necessary services enabled so I doubt they will block or suspend my PIN.

2. Tes, is brand new, it has been purchased by the company here in Bulgaria.

The annoying issue is that people with my same data services and the same device managed to connect BIS and I did not...

Thansk,

Cabeza2000

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Cabeza2000 wrote:

Thanks for your answer about HRT... I know other guys managed to do this, but nothing for me. It may have any relationship with the fact that I have edge and they have EDGE?

100% directly related.

In all honestly, it's your carrier that must resolve this. If you purchased the BB via the carrier and they cannot or will not resolve it, then by all means take their recommendation of replacement.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

sdgardne wrote:

100% directly related.

In all honestly, it's your carrier that must resolve this. If you purchased the BB via the carrier and they cannot or will not resolve it, then by all means take their recommendation of replacement.

Ditto... You are connected to the BIS... the carrier must resolve this.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks for your help guys, will see if the replacement thing will work (hopefully) and will come back to update the thread.

New Contributor

Update.

Yesterday I suspected that my Sim card may be the problem (at least two years old) so I tried my sim card in another device and I had the same results as above while another person Sim card worked correctly at my device.

My service provider will duplicate the sim card and we will check with a new one... I will update again ASAP, hopefully it will work.

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry curve 8520
My Carrier: orange

Hi guys I really need your help ASAP:

I have a bb 8520 and im with orange, I topped up 5 pound and texted 450 it says my bis should activate within 24 but it didnt I always seem to have EDGE in the corner and my host routing table is full with GPRS etc.... but when im out I try to go on the Internet and it says I have no wifi connection which I dont get and please dont suggest contacting orange because to be honest I really dont want to..Also I have tried the STARTBB process again and I was wondering after 24 hours do I reboot my device?.

PLEASE HELP ASAP 

many thanks