Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8520 Smartphone
Accepted Solution

BlackBerry Curve 8520 cannot connect to PC

Hi, I recently bought a BlackBerry Curve 8520 Smartphone. I want to transfer music files from my  computer to the BlackBerry. I already installed the BlackBerry Desktop Manager. But even after I connect the BlackBerry to my PC's USB port, when I click on "Media Manager" in DeskTop Manager, a message pops up saying: "Media Manager is only supported using a USB connection, to run Media Manager, please connect your device to your computer using a USB cable."

When I check my BlackBerry, there is the following popup on the screen:

"The charging source connected to you Blackberry device cannot charge your battery. Some USB hubs might not provide enough power. Plug the hub into a power outlet (if available) and reconnect your BlackBerry device. Try connection to another USB port (different computer, USB hub, or travel charger)Verify that your USB cable is securely connected to your BlackBerry device and a USB port, verify that your computer is not in standby, hibernate, or sleep mode. Verify that BlackBerry device USB drivers are installed on your computer."

I can check off all the above items except for the BlackBerry device USB drivers. Can anyone tell me where I can download it? By the way, I don't have a SIM card, I don't know if that plays a part in this.

Thank you in advance.

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BlackBerry Curve 8520 cannot connect to PC

Greetings, and welcome to the BlackBerry.com Support Forums.

Having a SIM card in won't matter for what you're wanting to do.

1. Make sure you are connected to a main REAR usb port, not a front USB port or a usb hub.

2. a. Go to Options >> Media Card
(some themes or BlackBerrys may call this "Settings >> Media Card")

b. Check the following settings (if they are not listed this way, then change to reflect the following:

• Media Card Support: On
  • Mass Storage Mode Support: On
  • Auto Enable Mass Storage: Yes

c. Save the settings and exit

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Super Contributor
My Device: Curve - 8520
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I've experienced this problem with a PCMCIA USB hub connected to my laptop which did not have it's own power source. Standard USB ports are self powered and do not cause issues like this unless there is a fault in your USB hardware. 

Try connecting via USB to another port on the PC, and also attempt to do so on a DIFFERENT PC. If your device begins to charge, you have a hardware fault in the port/computer and it has nothing to do with the BB device itself. 

If you simply want to try installing the device drivers first, here is the link:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/browseSoftware.do;jsessionid=C973FB872B9E4D1BBC8C24D984BD5BE2.n...

Disclaimer: I'm just a regular user like the rest of you. I have spent a lot of time learning the limitations of the Blackberries to know how to fix most problems. If I have suggested a fix, please give a kudo and mark as a solution!

New Contributor

Hi, thank you for your speedy response.

I set up my BlackBerry options like you described and I connected it to a working rear USB port (I just tested it with my printer). But i'm still getting the same msg from Media Manager :"please connect your device to your computer".

What's even weirder is that the BlackBerry screen shows that it is charging.

I remember when I was installing  BlackBerry Desktop Manager, there was a popup saying: your PC is not compatible with this program, if you install it, your system (Windows XP) may become unstable in the future. The heading on the Desktop Manager says: disabled-BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

New Contributor

Problem solved. Thanks.

Here's what  I did: I tried each of my rear USB ports and got connections from some of them. Then I set up the "connection setting" under options.

You are very welcome.

Good luck.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry curve 8520
My Carrier: Bangladesh

I still cannot connect it to my laptop. It starts charging everytime. I tried going to Option and then Memory, then Clicked On for Media Card Support, Mass Storage Mode Support and Yes to Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected, but still nothing happens. I can't find Connection Setting under Options as well. Smiley Sad

Tazzam wrote:

I can't find Connection Setting under Options as well. Smiley Sad

Options/Settings > Manage Connections.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry curve 8520
My Carrier: Bangladesh

Thank you but the Manage Connections only show Mobile Network, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth Smiley Sad

My Device: BB curve 8520
My Carrier: vodafone

I have found option for BB 8520

Go into Options--

Click on Memory

Media Card support--ON

Mass Storage Mode support--ON

Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode--ON

I have done so and able to access file transfer

Reena

Reena