Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BlackBerry Desktop/Device Manager Not Working

I recently got my first BlackBerry, and I downloaded the desktop manager software to my computer (PC with Vista) but I have not had any luck connecting my BlackBerry (Curve 8330) to my computer using USB cable. Anyone experience this problem? Any suggestions?
Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: BlackBerry Desktop/Device Manager Not Working

What happens when you try and connect? Do you receive any error messages?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
New Contributor

I hooked the USB up to the BB and my PC. Nothing happens on BB or PC. Then I try to open BB Device Mgr program and nothing opens. It's as if the software isn't there/isn't working, and the PC is not recognizing the BB.
Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8330

Try uninstalling it and then installing it again
Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)
Thanks Smiley Happy
Elite I

Have a look at these KB articles for some USB Troubleshooting steps:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
New Contributor

So I've tried several things, but still no luck. I uninstalled the desktop software and installed a newer version on the desktop. That at least allowed me to get into the desktop manager software. Then when I connected the BB via USB to the PC, the PC recognized the device. But then when I tried to do some stuff in the desktop manager, it didn't seem to be recognizing the BB (I went to a few different areas in the Main Menu). So then I followed the troubleshooting links provided and did the steps with checking the device manager and uninstalling the USB driver, but that didn't seem to do it. And now I cannot get into the desktop manager software. Seems like I'm back to where I started. Ugh... any other thoughts?
Elite I

Did you do a clean uninstall of the Desktop Manager? If not try these steps

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02206

Afterwards reinstall Desktop Manager 4.7 (without media manager is recommended)

See if any of this link help

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB13194

New Contributor

I am also having issues with my Curve 8330 not being recognized by either of my computers.  Have uninstalled, reinstalled software...done the hard reset.  All with negative results.   There is no "Detect" option for my connections drop down box on the Device manager software.  I've tried with both v 4.5 and 4.7....same issues with both versions.  Getting very frustrated with this not so smart phone and the lack of support from the company.  Any help would be appreciated.  I've tried different cables, different computers....so on so forth.   Issue with the phone I'm guessing as I connected my wife's 8330 and sync's fine.  Do I have to send this hunk of junk back? 
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Telus

Gord700 check and see if its atleast being seen in device manager (not the device manager that comes with desktop manager)

Windows device manager

right click on MY COMPUTER

select PROPERTIES

click on HARDWARE tab

DEVICE MANAGER button

click on + beside Universal Serial Bus Controllers

see if you see BLACKBERRY SMARTPHONE or UNKNOWN DEVICE

if windows device manager doesnt see it, then desktop manager will never see it

New Contributor

My device manager does not recognize the BB.   I'm guessing I can't force it to.   Other computer recognized my wife's BB and it shows up on device manager,   tried mine again, still nada.   I downloaded the USB & modem driver files listed at top of downloads section of this site,  didn't seem to do anything either.   I'm guessing I can't update software on BB without a proper connection to computer??

Thanks for assistance.