Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.5 Sync is Very Slow

philhughes wrote:
I'm still a huge novice with the BB - but ... Do you have OS 4.5 on your device. I saw somewhere that the device & desktop versions must match. They may be fighting each other if they don't match. Just a thought
That is not correct. Versions of Desktop Manager and the Handheld software OS are independent. As a matter of fact, most users today use Desktop Manager 4.5 or 4.3 with a Software OS 4.2, since OS 4.5 is not officially available except for the 8330.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I too am having considerable problems syncing my BB 8830 through Desktop Manger 4.5.  First of all, it is considerably slower than through past DMs.  Secondly -- it keeps mixing up all of my contacts -- blending them almost.  I have changed all of the synchronization settings such that it should be a one-way sync with the Outlook data replacing all of the data on the device.  Yet it still gives me all of these bizarre conflicts.  Finally -- when synching my calendar, I keep getting "duration" conflicts.  I have never had this problem before.

If I uninstall 4.5 and reinstall a lesser version -- do I need to delete my sync logs in order to have more success?

Any assistance is appreciated!

New Contributor

I have returned to Desktop Manager 4.1.  It works fine and is many times faster than 4.5.
New Contributor
My Device: 9000 Bold

And so is 4.7...

I can NOT believe anybody from RIM has anything to say. It's been months without a solution to this.

Seems to me the folks at RIM owe us, their users, an apology. Desktop Manager is unnecessarily slow as this thread describes. If it's a software design problem, it would be nice to have someone acknowledge the problem and promise to address it. If those of us experiencing the joy of watching Desktop Manager read and re-read the same application (Calendar, Address Book, etc.) over and over and over again are doing something wrong, they should tell us what. Or don't they care about their customers?

Same problem.  BDM 4.5 is ridiculously slow.

SOLUTION:  Uninstall it and reinstall BDM 4.3.  I did and I am back up to speed.

Yes synchronization is painfully slow with new software. Can one use the old software or will it not be right with new updated 4.5 operating system?
New Contributor

I am using 4.7 with my blackberry storm.  I am experiencing very very slow sync times as well - up to 15 minutes.  Question - does yours appear to be reading every entry (contact, calendar, etc.) each sync or just recently added entries?  Mine is reading every entry every time as if I am syncing for the first time every time.  I know from past experience, the first sync always takes 10 to 15 minutes to read and import everything but then is very fast after that because all it is reading are new entries - whether they be on my blackberry or my pc.

I upgraded to 4.5 and then 4.7 after seeing the posts in this thread, I rolled back to 4.3 on the Desktop Manager -- I have over 4500 contacts and I am back to syncing in under 1 MIN -- Thanks so much!  FYI I'm running 4.1 on my BB device, 4.3 on my BBDM -- thansk tillig

Also, I had an error that kept closing (noted in other threads) -- it turned out to be my most recently accepted calendar entry, I deleted it, and whamo -- back up and running, life is good -- looking forward to a more productive day tomorrow!  

Visitor

I've just discovered an important indicator of why the BlackBerry Desktop Manager is very slow when synchronizing PIM data with MS Outlook. RIM software development or their purchased software libraries are extreemly inefficient when writing updates to the "Synchronization Progress" pop-up window. I have two different computers and the results are the same. Here are the details of my test

- Verizon Blackberrry Pearl, Phone software: 4.5.0.77 ( I've tried 3 different software version and a completedly new Pearl with the same results).

- Desktop Manager: 4.7.0.32 (I've tried multiple versions, with old versions 4.3 working fine but newer ones, 4.5, 4.7 showing the slow behavior).

- I have 1,400 contacts, 600 calendar items, 200 tasks in MS Outlook.

- PC 1: HP Compaq 6910p, Dual core, 4 GB RAM.

- PC 2: HP Pavilion 763n, Single core (2.5 Ghz), 1 GB RAM

- MS Outlook 2003 (office SP3).

- I repeatedly (6 times) sync with no changes on either the Blackberry or MS Outlook. Thus no updates are needed on either side.

- I use Process Explorer v10.21 to watch the behavior of Desktop Manager (DM), cpu, memory, etc.)

A) When I run the the sync normally, so I can see the "Synchronization Progress" window, it takes 4.5 minutes CPU is very busy (90% +). This is excruciatingly slow. About 10 times slower than the older DM v4.3.

BUT

B) When I run the the sync AND ICONIFY the main window, "Working - Blackberry Desktop Manager" and the pop-up window, "Synchronization progress", it only takes 50 Seconds and the CPU is less busy (75%). The sync is 5 times faster when I iconify the "Synchronization Progress" window!.

I am a software developer, and this tells me that the software algorithm (and/or software libraries) used to create/update the "Synchronization progress" pop-up window is very, very inefficient. It is a poor design and implementation when a simple progress bar and item counter take so much CPU that they slow the real work (synchronization) by 500%!

RIM, please get this fixed. It should be trivial.