Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: BlackBerry Desktop Manager 6.0 - Minimize to System Tray?

[ Edited ]

rstevenw wrote:

I found a way to Minimize BlackBerry Desktop Manager 6 to the Windows System Tray.

*cut*

Just wanted to let you all know that it is possible to minimize BlackBerry Desktop Manager 6 to the Windows System Tray.

Are you familliar witht he windows registry?  If so, is there a registry key that handles this option? 

John Wohlers
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I'll add my vote for having this feature return... 

My Device: Storm 2 (9550)

Ditto -- definitely annoying to have it in the taskbar all the time, but most annoying is that if you close the window (by clicking the X in the top right corner) instead of minimizing it, it actually closes DM, whereas in the previous version that same gesture minimized it to the system tray.  So I find myself constantly having to restart the app when I connect my phone and realize it's not sync-ing because DM isn't running anymore.

My Device: 8700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Also very upset about the fact that the new version closes and does not allow to be minimized to the task tray.  The only upside is that it seems to be a processor hog and having it not running might be a benefit.

Bifocals, I agree with Wattride. Just be humble and stop at that.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8330
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Unfortunately, it looks like neither the Minimize to System Tray nor the Run at Startup options have been re-added to DM6 yet?  Yes, this upgrade was a terrible pain, and my only happiness about it is it appears to have stopped this thing DM5 was doing where it would cause Outlook to stop sending and receiving every few BB syncs.  I guess it was locking the PST up or something, and whatever it was was a major pain, so I'm glad that appears to be fixed in DM6.  Other than that bug fix, it's just caused problems, removed functionality.  I'm very disappointed.

I hope we can once again minimize to the system tray soon.

Regards,

Max

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 & Bold 9000

Hey guys, I registered to the forum to reply to this thread. What I did was turn on wifi music sync for my Torch. And now whenever I close Desktop Manager it minimizes to the system tray. Since the wifi sync needs to be running at all time I'm assuming. So I hope this helps out. Not sure if this will work with older devices and those that don't support wifi music sync. Did it work for you? Thanks!

My Device: Torch 9800 & Bold 9000

Hello? Nobody?!

My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Sounds like an interesting workaround for people with WiFi...

But the real message is for RIM... please put the feature back.

RIM, to be clear:

- we want your software to be able to detect us plugging in the phone automatically without requiring us to start software. The synch should just happen. (Yes, I can manually put it in the startup folder if necessary, a step not needed for Skype and GoogleChat and YIM...)

- we don't want you cluttering up the bottom of the screen permanently. The "minimize to tray" option is OK, although it would be even better if it worked like Skype and GoogleChat and YIM so that even closing sends it to the tray (unless you actually exit from the tray).

Just in case your development guys need some use case/mkt requirement info to justify the features you used to have.

Thanks!

Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Just noticed something that doesn't make me hopeful... there's another thread for this exact same thing - with version 4.3. According to that thread, they were putting the feature back in.

Which means this is at least the second time they've taken it out. Which either means they know everyone wants cuz it happened before and, well, too bad, we're taking it out, or they have no corporate history and are doomed to repeat it over and over.

But there is an angle that is hopeful: if the thread was to be believed (and if RIM followed through on their promise), the feature was added back in due to customer hollering. So maybe they'll listen to the hollering again.

My Device: Bold 9700

Unless I am mis-reading what is required here, it does seem to be possible to keep V6of the software  in the sytem tray.  The procedure I used was:

1) Start the Blackberry desktop software

2) Right clik on the 'Blackberry Device Manager' icon in system tray and select Properties

3) Tick the box 'Start Blackberry Device manager on system startup'

4) Re-start the PC

The software will now appear in the system tray after re-start and will minimise to the system tray after  use.

Hope this helps you all as it took me a while to locate this functionality.