Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Sprint

BlackBerry Desktop Software has stopped working

I cannot get the BlackBerry Desktop Software to start on my computer. At all.

I was previously running version 5.0 - and then I installed Outlook 2010 and it wouldn't sync. I did some reading and discovered that version 5.0 will not sync with Outlook 2010 - so I upgraded to the newest version.

The installation was succesful and when I attempt to open the program I get an error that says "BlackBerry Desktop Software has stopped working".

I am uninstalled and reinstalled twice and keep getting the same error.

My .net Framework is up to date (I have read somewhere that could be an issue...)

I am running Windows 7 - Home Premium with Service Pack 1.

I have MS Office Professional 2010

Thanks in advance!!!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BlackBerry Desktop Software has stopped working

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Please first check this:

•  KB24040Support for Microsoft Office 2010 Click-to-Run installation

If that is not the cause, then I suggest the following steps (insert plenty of reboots of your PC...not just restarts, but full power down reboots). Also, it is advised that you be logged into the PC on an account with full admin rights. Further, under Vista/Win7, use the "Run As Administrator" option for everything.

Further, it has also been reported that when your user profile on windows (type 'echo %userprofile%' in the command prompt) contains spaces, then the installer will not work. In order to solve this issue, log out of your Windows account and log back in using the local Administrator account (or any other account name without spaces) and install the desktop (for all users).

1) Remove your device OS update package from your PC (add/remove programs)

2) Cleanly uninstall the RIM Desktop Software:

• KB02206 How to perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software

• Some have reported that there are more registry keys to remove than are discussed in that KB...be sure to search your registry for any related to RIM

• Others have reported the use of a registry cleansing tool to also be helpful

• Still others have reported the use of your original PIM (e.g., Outlook, NOTES, etc.) installation CD, running the "repair" process, to be helpful in some situations

3) Get a fresh download of the RIM Desktop Software:

4) Download (to your PC) a fresh copy of your device OS package from your carrier:

5) Install the Desktop Software to your PC

6) Install (also to your PC), the device OS package

7) Start the organizer configuration over:

• KB17022 How to configure organizer applications for synchronization using BlackBerry Desktop Manager

• KB23681How to configure organizer data synchronization settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.0

Hopefully that will get things going again.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

I am fairly certain I have just finished all these fixes and it still isn't working Smiley Sad

The only thing I can't tell is whether or not I have a Click-to-Run version of Office. how do I tell?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Oh golly...I honestly wish you'd have checked on click-to-run first...if that turns out to be the root issue, then doing the rest of those tedious things would have been avoided.

I honestly don't know where to check on click-to-run...other than to point you to the Additional Information section of the KB:

• For more details on Click-to-run compatibility, visit the Microsoft Support website and search for "Microsoft Office 2010 Click-to-Run".

Maybe that has something more useful?

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Oh, I most definitely don't have that.

Hall of Famer III

Don't have what?

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Optus

I have had the same problem.

Updated from V5 to V6 which worked fine, but when reinstalling V6 after a HD crash V6 would not run.

I have un-installed V6 using both Revo and ACS uninstall packages (both seem to find all leftover registry items) and reinstalled to new locations, even to a different HD, but it still crashes!

I went back to V5 which runs fine, but (obviously) without some f the featurers of V6.

Have just downloaded and installed the new V6, but, you guessed it, it crashes too.

This is truly beyond a joke, only MS comes close for shipping cruddy software.

New Contributor

I most definitely don't have the Click to Run Office.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

I had this problem off and on for months.  I spent a lot of time sorting thru all the possibilities with HP, uSoft, BB and others.

They were all USELESS.

I'll explain what was causing my problem - to the best of my ability:

Blackberry Desktop software was apparently offended when I deleted a folder that uSoft (Vista 64) was using as a default location for saving files.  I did not like that location as a default, there was nothing in it, I deleted it and from that point forward, BB Desktop software would not start. 

When I restored that folder from the recycle bin, all was fixed.

I am not sure why BB likes that folder.  Probably has to do with a selection made during installation. In any case, this is what caused my problems.

I think BB should have this sort of failure mode identified as part of the troubleshooting process.

No one ever asked about folders that BB looks for during start up.

New Contributor
My Device: Pear 9105
My Carrier: ?

I'm having the same problem. I've only just switched to a BlackBerry and am surprised how frustrating the installation process is being. I've uninstalled the software an d am about to re-install using the default BlackBerry folder.

Fingers crossed it works! It shouldn't have to be this time consuming!