Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9000

BlackBerry Desktop & Windows 7 Synchronization

My computer is running pretty slow these days and I have decided to do a "clean" install of the operating system, however I figured that whilst I'm at it, I may as well upgrade to Microsoft's new "Windows 7" operating system... I'm a little concerned though, about how synchronization is going to work. Currently I use BlackBerry Desktop to synchronize my BlackBerry Bold 9000 with Windows Mail, but the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor tells me that this program has been replaced by "Windows Live Mail" in Windows 7, an e-mail client that does not appear to be supported by BlackBerry Desktop (I downloaded and tested the program under Microsoft's Windows Vista: Home Premium operating system). Can anyone confirm if BlackBerry Desktop will synchronize with Windows Live Mail under Windows 7, or can someone from Research in Motion (RIM) confirm if this is expected to become supported in the immediate future? Synchronization has become a big part of my life, because it provides a secure back-up of my contacts and also allows me to be able to use those contacts in my desktop e-mail client... If I can't synchronize with Windows Live Mail or Mozilla's Thunderbird (I'm not a big fan of Microsoft's Outlook, largely in part because I hate the interface and think that it is bloated rubbish not suited for personal use...), then there's really very little point to me upgrading my computer.
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: BlackBerry Desktop & Windows 7 Synchronization

I'm having the same issues - I upgraded from XP to Windows 7 two days ago and can't get the correct Outlook directory to save in Desktop Manager.  Email synchronization is not mandatory, but the calendar synchronizer is something I'm not sure I can live without.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

You can check the currently supported Organizers in this KB:

• KB12268 Applications supported by BlackBerry Desktop Manager for synchronization

If you don't like Outlook, there are plenty of other choices.

Hopefully that has the information you need.

BTW -- there can never be any forward-looking official information on these boards from RIM...that's just part of the TOS.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Highlighted
New Contributor

After working with my Windows 7 upgrade I have determined that I have permissions issues in the new installation, and there were leftover items from the XP install that didn't allow me to run the synchronization manager.  I'll be doing a clean install of windows 7 in the next few days, and I expect that will fix the problem.

I dd check the attached document sent on the prior post, didn't see anything helpful there for version 5 of the desktop manager.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

OK...you could also first try a clean uninstall and reinstall of DTM...I had to do so after my update to Win7...here's a procedure:

I suggest the following steps (insert plenty of reboots of your PC...not just restarts, but full power down reboots). Also, it is advised that you be logged into the PC on an account with full admin rights. Further, under Vista, use the "Run As Administrator" option for everything.

1) Remove your device OS update package from your PC (add/remove programs)

2) Cleanly uninstall the RIM DTM software:

• KB02206 How to perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software

3) Get a fresh download of the RIM DTM software:

• Choose the version that is newest and (if applicable) compatible with your PIM (if you are synchornizing via USB):
  • KB12268 Applications supported by BlackBerry Desktop Manager for synchronization

4) Download (to your PC) a fresh copy of your device OS package from your carrier:

5) Install DTM to your PC

6) Install (also to your PC), the device OS package

7) Start the organizer configuration over:

• KB17022 How to configure organizer applications for synchronization using BlackBerry Desktop Manager

Hopefully that will get things going again.

My point in citing the earlier KB (repeated above) is so that you are using a version of DTM that is compatible with your version of Outlook -- you did not state what OL version you are using, so I leave it to you to ensure it is compatible with the DTM version you are attempting to use.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Problem solved.  I re-downloaded DTM 5.0 and reinstalled after doing a clean uninstall with the help of a third-party uninstaller application which also cleans registry keys.  And after all that I was looking at some other documents on the site and I discovered I missed the "Configure Synchronization" part of the DTM.  Running Outlook 2007 & DTM 5.0 under Windows 7 operating system works just fine, I am happy to report.

To other users upgrading from XP to W7 via Vista install, I had permissions issues caused by the Vista install changing my user name Smiley Surprised, so I originally thought that was also related to my issues, but it may have as simple as not rereading the instructions.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Hi Shbeaty, by this post, I am assuming you are using Outlook 2007 with Window 7 and the Desktop software and they are working well together? I am not sure which device you have, I have a Storm 9530. I have been posting for a couple of months about the same issues. I would like to use an email program such as Outlook and not a web-based such as yahoo for my contacts, calendar and email. Right now I am using yahoo b/c the bb desktop software only gives two options, the other being ASCII or something like that. As you might be able to tell, I am not real tech savvy and have become quite frustrated over what I think should be a simple issue. If you are running the above 3 successfully might I ask a silly question of you? How would I get Outlook 2007? I don't have a copy so is this something I can purchase from Microsoft? I haven't checked into it b/c I wasn't sure if it is compatible with Windows 7 and if it had the option to sync calendar with bb.

Thank you for posting this item,

Kim

Verizon Wireless
Storm 9530 4.2.0.128
New Contributor

Kim,

Outlook 2007 is part of Microsoft Office 2007.    I'm not sure if you could buy it stand-alone, or if it would have to be purchased as part of Office 2007.  My Blackberry is a Bold, but I'm not sure that matters if you're using Desktop Manager to synchronize calendar, contacts and email.  There are lower end versions of Microsoft Office that only include Word, Excel & Outlook, which are less expensive than the full blown Office Professional; I've seen them at places  such as NewEgg and Discount Mountain Software.  What are you using for word processing now?

I'm using the wireless reconciliation option for my emails, which was set up by the store where the phone was purchased, and only reconciling the calendar, contacts, tasks & memo pad with Outlook. 

Hope this helps.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Shbeaty, I decided to download the Outlook 2007 trial to test it. Everything is working beautifully. I plan to purchase just the Outlook 2007 disc later this week, I think I found a pretty good deal. I am usually a Works cd that came with the Dell laptop I purchased in October, but incidentally it didn't have an Outlook version. I have access to Outlook 2002, but I really wanted something newer. I love the color coding in the calendar. It is a much better set up overall. I can't thank you enough for posting this and helping me to resolve the issues I had. Thanks, a million!

Kim

Verizon Wireless
Storm 9530 4.2.0.128
New Contributor

Kim,

I'm glad I was able to help.

Susan