Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: 9300 Curve 3G
My Carrier: Celcom

BlackBerry Device Software & Ubuntu

[ Edited ]

Will BlackBerry ever take the initiative to make an Ubuntu version of the BlackBerry Device Software? You know by doing so, BlackBerry has widen its market to the rapidly popular Open Source community and you will be one step ahead of your competitors here.

ubuntu: Linux for human beings
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: BlackBerry Device Software & Ubuntu

my personal opinion is that RIM is focusing on Windows PCs (because of the market....) and, with 2 years lag on Mac PCs (I am not even sure MacOS can do an OS upgrade today).

So I do not think RIM is ever going to support Linux OS.

besides, Desktop Software rely on Nokia intellysync, which has never been ported to Linux as far as I know.

furthermore, Linux owners are clever, and I know very few that are not able to run a Windows VM...

Lastly, RIM has never innovated compared to its competitors as far as software is concerned, apart from huge innovations like the TrackWheel, PushEmail or SurePress screens.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook, bold9900
My Carrier: Rogers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_adopters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

Linux is gaining, and ubuntu 12.04 is the first step. Please be prepared RIM. 

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

yes, same was said about Mandrake. Then Debian. Now Ubuntu. And yet geeks in the end go to MacOS.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: