Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodacom

BlackBerry ID and BBM Pin

Does a BBM pin belong to the device or does it follow your BlackBerry ID?

My husband gave my sister is BlackBerry Bold 9900, and she has noticed when she has signed in with her BlackBerry ID Bold.  Before she took over the phone we did do a security wipe, which in theory should make the phone as if she is the first time user.

This problem seems to carry on to previous shared BBM contacts that both the Bold and the Curve had. i.e (my mom was a contact for my husband, on the bold, and for my sister on the curve).  My husband has since loaded BBM onto his Samsung Galaxy S3 and this has cause more confusion between BBM contacts.  I have checked and the display names are different but at times they will both share the same Profile Pic.

I have checked and the Samsung Galaxy S3 BBM has a different BBM Pin to what he used to have.  So that shows that a BBM pin then belongs to the device and NOT to the BlackBerry ID as I have been told by Support in South Africa.  

I am not sure if this is a software bug for BlackBerry 7OS?

Any suggestions or has anyone had a problem like this before?

Many thanksSmiley Happy

Elite I
My Device: Passport & PlayBook
My Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Re: BlackBerry ID and BBM Pin

[ Edited ]

On BlackBerry handsets the PIN is coded to the device. When you log in with your BlackBerry ID on a new handset the system associates the new handset with your ID and should update your BBM contacts (at least on recent handset models). But the PIN numbers remain associated with the devices. If someone sends a PIN message to your old PIN it will be delivered to the old device.

I'm not sure about what you are seeing.  I guess I don't completely follow.   But the PIN on Blackberry is associated with the device.  On other platforms I assume the PIN that is issued is associated with the BlackBerry ID or email address.   There may be a wrinkle introduced by the fact that some iOS and Android users signed on using the the BlackBerry ID they used with a BlackBerry at one time, but I don't know. 

- Ira