Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
_Q_
Visitor
My Device: Curve 9350
My Carrier: on WiFi only

BlackBerry ID not completing setup

A friend gave me his old BB Curve, and I'm having difficulty getting a BlackBerry ID set up on it.  I've tried starting both on the website and the device with no success.  I created one on the site; however, I can't get the device to accept it.  I also tried creating one from the device, multiple times (both with the same email address as on the website and a different one).  Still no go.

I've put the Curve through a secure wipe twice--when I first started to have a clean slate, and then again after finding I couldn't get it to log in.

Other than going WiFi-only with this particular device (it's CDMA, my carrier is GSM, and I'm not planning to switch--I just thought this would be a good chance to try out a BlackBerry), I can't think of anything else that might hang this up.  How can I get past this obstacle?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BlackBerry ID not completing setup

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Since you are taking possession of a previously owned BB, please see (and carefully conduct) this KB:

• KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

Also, check carefully with the prior owner...if the BB was associated with BES, there will be even more to do:

• KB30076 How to check for an IT Policy on a BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB31291 How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software

And, whatever you do, don't do any backups/restores...if you do, you can re-introduce the very things that may be causing issues now. Since this BB is totally new to you, you should not need anything that existed on it before anyway.

As a result of the WIPEs that were conducted in KB05099, any association of the BB to any existing BB ID is now severed. Your choice then is to create a new BB ID as part of the initial start-up process on the BB, or log into a BB ID that you created separately (e.g., via the BB ID website). If anything fails, please be sure to include the exact and complete content of any error messages as well as exactly where in the process they present...otherwise, we can't well enough understand what is happening, and therefore can't provide useful guidance. (e.g., a report of "no success" or "no go" pretty much doesn't tell us anything from which we can understand and help.)

Now, as to what you desire to experience. A BB is not like any other SmartPhone. Many functions are dependent on infrastructure hosted at the carriers/BlackBerry, and access to that infrastructure is enabled by subscribing to an adequate data plan from a carrier. So, with WiFi only, there are many things that just are not going to work for you including email, BBM, BB Protect, and a host of other BB-proprietary services.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................