Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Pearl

BlackBerry Pearl 9105 as internet modem

Hello,

I'm at a loss at the moment and hope to get a clear answer here.

I'd like to use my BlackBerry Pearl 9105 as an internet modem to surf the internet on my netbook. This is my first time, as I have never tried to use it as an internet modem before. The netbook OS is Ubuntu 12.10. I also use Windows 7/8, but I prefer using Linux for the internet.

I wanted to install the packet called "barry-util" which is a Linux alternative for BlackBerry Desktop Manager. The installation was successful. Unfortunately I don't know anymore how to establish a connection using the function called "modem tethering". The software found my smartphone, but the connection got failed and I don't know why, because I didn't understand/recognize the error message.

To check if Windows is easier than Linux, I installed the Vodafone Connector in Windows 8. But the software didn't recognize a connected smartphone. In the manual I read that not each model supports dial-up networking.

The second solution would be bluetooth. My smartphone could find my netbook, and vice versa. But this solution also failed, because I got an error: "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.".

What was wrong? Does it mean that my smartphone doesn't support tethering or dial-up networking? Has anybody once tried to use this smartphone as an internet modem?

Thanks for your answers in advance.

Highlighted
Visitor
My Device: Blackberry Pearl 9105
My Carrier: Indosat

Re: BlackBerry Pearl 9105 as internet modem

in windows XP you can try:

1. Select Start> Settings> Network Connections.
2. Double-click the New Connection Wizard. New Connection Wizard will open.
3. Click Next.
4. Select the option Connect to the Internet. Click Next.
5. Select Setup my connection manually. Click Next.
6. Select Connect using a dial-up modem. Click Next.
7. If the Select a Device screen appears, select the Modem - Standard Modem check box. Click Next.
8. In the ISP Name field, type a name for your connection. Click Next.
9. In the Phone number field, type * 99 #. Click Next.
10. Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
11. Enter your user name and password provided by your service provider. Click Next.
12. Click Finish.
13. In the Connect window, click Properties.
14. In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears beneath the Connect using heading, then click Configure.
15. In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure all of the other boxes are not checked above. Click OK.
16. In the Properties window, click OK

in Ubuntu, I can not try it but I've tried in XP and succeeded.... good luck