Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BlackBerry Storm Web Based Software Upgrades

Its like Bill and Ted are working with Lloyd and Harry on this one.
New Contributor

So far, .75 does not fix the muted audio, loud headset volume, Bluetooth problems and portrait/landscape changes issues.  My storm still drops bluetooth connectivity during calls, volume is all over the place and the screen rotates without warning. Is this the same .75 as offered unofficially on Crackberry?

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm

One thing I noticed that truly stood out after the update.  I love how they changed the portrait keyboard layout to 2 letters per key.  This makes typing a whole lot easier.  (and don't tell me the phone was already like that cuz that would make me look like an **bleep**)
New Contributor

Trojanberry, you are right!  2 letters per key instead of the three!  Much better!  I just finished upgrading my phone, and already I am noticing the portrait to landscape thingy is MUCH improved!  Hooray!  It responds much faster when I turn it to the side now.  I am off to play with it and see what else is better.

Thanks!

Vicky

New Contributor

cummingsjs wrote:

i just opened the BB Desktop Manager and clicked check for updates at 8:15 EST and the system completed what appeared to be a very significant update that took 10 minutes.  I have had my phone since the morning of 11/21 and I have done this previously and the phone was updated. 

My question is - where can I see what version of the upgrade was downloaded?  On the BB Storm I went into "Options" then into "Advanced Options" and clicked on 'Applications."  It shows on top line the following

BlackBerry 4.7 Core Applicaitons  4.7  However, I cannot transition over to the right far enough to see the file extension. I am curious is this the .78 release?   How can I verify.

thanks for the input and help

You need to go to "options" then "about" and there, you should see the OS as v4.7.0.75 (platform 4.0.0.94), assuming you did the upgrade.

Contributor

For those who did not read my post on the other thread, these are my first impressions so far on the 0.78.

Ok.... update finished. First impressions are good .

- The flipping is significantly better. I tried switching in the home menu and the camera/keyboard and it is much much faster.

- In general the device responds much much faster, the lag is still there in the home menu but its not a big deal. - -  

- Images in the media viewer load real fast, like 0.5 secs and you see all of them.

- Browsing images is also better, much smoother.

- Playing mp3 there is still a large gap (0.5 secs) between songs of the same album, which makes the change from song to song a bit crapy.

- Scrolling menus is way improved, so is the response to the menu button.

- The same for scrolling contacts and calendar, now changing month is much faster and smoother.

- Loading applications is also faster (Id say 50% faster), Facebook for instance loads almost instantly.

- The call log seems to have a bug. When you get in, you cant do anything. All freezes untill you press the red button and go to the home screen.

- Locking is finally working. It takes about 0.3-0.5 secs to lock and unlock.

So far, im a happy camper.  

Some more thoughts after 12 hours since update. The phone seems NOT to get any slower with time (with 0.65 it will get extremely slow after 24 hours). 

Contributor

One more update after 2 days post 0.78 update. On top of all the other fixes, the battery seems to last MUCH longer. I updated the Storm 36 hours ago when it was with a full battery, and right now it is still at 65%.
Contributor

Thanks for the tip on changing the keyboard response  rate (under options>screen/keyboard)

Key rate: fast

Tap interval: 100

Hover period: 100

Swipe sensitivity: 6

This has helped!!! 

The only problems I've had were with the sync (with Outlook) - I had outlook 2000 and it wouldn't syn my info.  I had to upgrade.  Now it works like a charm (using the BB desktop mgr).  All my outlook info gets syncd Smiley Happy   

This forum has helped a lot - I really appreciate the tips/shortcuts everyone has posted. 

I have small fingers and have to use my index fingers for typing on the keyboards, can't use my thumbs.  My hubby can txt with his thumbs really fast with the landscape mode.

The browser (explorer or firefox) is sloooowwwww.  Wish it was faster!!!!!! - but the rest of the phone is great.  Love being able to get e-mails from my different accts. Using my outlook calendar info, memos, appts, task, etc.,  text msgs, instant msgng, photos, music.  I dwnld Google maps (still trying to learn how to operate it), my 13 yr grandson can work it Smiley Sad 

Can someone explain what the update was suppose to do.  I got the update tonite (Sat 12-6-08) thru the BB desktop mgr - the phone re-booted etc.  Everything still there just like before the update and still seems to work okay.  haven't gotten on the browser yet.

Thanks for the help

Contributor

What is the deal with the camera?  I forgot I had tried to take pics of my 4 & 5 yr old grandchildren and the flash would come on, they would think the pic was taken and move.  What's the deal???? - is this a software issue?  When will it be fixed? 
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Verizon is offering the Samsung Omnia tommorrow in stores.  Looks like a substantial alternaive to the Storm and iPhone. No way RIM should have released the Storm before it was debugged. Why should we have to jump through hoops?  They should have learned from the iPhone's release issues. RIM should be ashamed and issue a public apology.  Where is the integrity anymore?

CNET gets it...

http://pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=news&id=6375

Message Edited by lrome50 on 12-08-2008 02:33 AM
Message Edited by lrome50 on 12-08-2008 02:34 AM