Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Storm

Re: BlackBerry Storm Web Based Software Upgrades

I just did the "leaked" update and it is even better than the .68 update "officially" released last week.

The upgrade was easy and smooth, all apps seem to be working well.

The "enterprise activation" even went quickly.

This is a NEW device, it's not unusual to see lots of software changes quickly.

I work with a very advanced satellite communications system. Software upgrades are not easy, and take a LOT of testing, so if they come out slowly, it's to be expected.  The 4.7.0.75 (Platform 4.0.0.94) update is an improvement, I'm sure more will follow...

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

just wanted to report that changing the settings on my Storm to these:

Key rate: fast

Tap interval: 100

Hover period: 100 

Swipe sensitivity: 6

as recommeded by izzybb has transformd my Storm. It is very much better and more responsive and thats without the new .75 firmware upgrade.

Contributor

So where can we get the leaked .75 version? I just did an update yesterday and got the core applications updated byt not the whole thing. My Storm reads 4.7.0.65 (platform 4.0.0.76).

Is there anything newer out there? And where to get it? Im a bit disappointed with the operating system (speed, reseting, etc) but I think the hardware is a very good platform once they get these issues shorted out.

BTW im in Holland, dont know if that makes a difference for the updates. 

Contributor

iesteban wrote:

So where can we get the leaked .75 version? I just did an update yesterday and got the core applications updated byt not the whole thing. My Storm reads 4.7.0.65 (platform 4.0.0.76).

Is there anything newer out there? And where to get it? Im a bit disappointed with the operating system (speed, reseting, etc) but I think the hardware is a very good platform once they get these issues shorted out.

BTW im in Holland, dont know if that makes a difference for the updates. 

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/os-4-7-0-75-leak-105593/

here is the link... but i think it wont work if you are not in the us...
for me it doesnt and im from germany.
Contributor

great... ill have to wait then and do a battery reset at least once per day (either it hangs or it gets so slow it becomes a dead weight in my pocket).

Contributor

i am a mac user but getting my hands on my good friends PC laptop tonight.  What do I need to download and install to get this update going on my storm?  Besides the link to the actual update, what else do I need and from where?

Any help would be huge.

New Contributor

From the cd's provided to you, you can download any apps and stuff you put on the phone to your desktop with your Desktop Manager. If your not worried about losing anything(which I didnt lose anything and didnt back anything up) just download the link and run it. Follow the instructions given on the link and you should be good. Might take a half hour or a little more.
New Contributor

just in case something goes wrong on the phone through the software update, is there a way to get it back to where it was before... (even though i hate the .65)
Contributor

It's now been officially over 24 hours since I've owned this piece of junk! Nothing works right, the Desktop Manager must have been developed by some people who clearly need to be re-educated on software programming with Microsoft Vista and C++. The Desktop Manager is constantly locking up my Operating System, blacking out the screen when it attempts finding applications on the device. Matter of fact I can no longer find the damned video player!!!!!! And of course, like I said I'm locked out of the Desktop Manager because it constantly crashes. So I can't see if the player got deleted.

This is simply not good, not good for RIM and not good for Verizon. Mostly it's not good for the end-user!!!! Out of box experience, by far the worst I have had on an electronic device in many years. What gives RIM? They must be planning their own self-destruction by KNOWINGLY releasing such a piece of junk to the general public.

Contributor

Trust me. You're not the only one. Mac users don't despair, PC users are equally having issues with the Storm. I really did want to like RIM's Storm, the alleged iPhone killer, etc. But RIM might be really done for after this mess is over. Both Verizon and RIM in my opinion knew this was not ready for release. There is NO way they could have not caught these so very obvious and glaringly noticeable bugs like locking up, accelerometer issues, the keyboard issues, etc.

From software issues with the Desktop Manager to issues with the Storm, both RIM and I hate to say it, Verizon made the fatal error of releasing this to the public in hopes of cashing in before the holidays and before the economy worsens. RIM may be on the verge of extinction by trying to play a stunt like this on the general public. I'm sure they will lose corporate accounts on those companies who banked on using the Storm and now can't!

One thing for sure, JP Powers, Consumers Digest, and the Better Business Bureau are well aware of what is going on with the consumer issues we're having. This does not bode well for RIM or Verizon/Vodafone/Teleus. Nothing has come out to address these issues to the public, no apologies, no reassurance there are immediate fixes on the way, nothing. I'm in a way anxiously waiting to see what sort of class-action lawsuit comes out of this mess RIM created.