Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530

Re: BlackBerry Storm Web Based Software Upgrades

Just installed the leaked .75 upgrade on both our STORMs using DM v4.7 with Roxio English only (not multilanguage)... and it went perfectly on both.  It could not had been smoother.  My device has been stable however my husband's has been rebooting at least 4 times a day as well as hanging up.  So I am very hopeful to see if this release will make a difference.  Although we are +8 years Treo people, we like the Storms and want it to come on-board....but it's been difficult so far.

There is this one bug that is still killing me in .75.  Have you seen it?  It's a bluetooth bug is an issue when using the earpiece with 'speed-dialing' but not 'voice command'.   It occurs any time with any of the 'speed dialing' keys are used where the call does not comes through the headset but the connection is made with the party but they can not hear you and you can not hear even though the line is connected.  I have tested this on both our two STORMS and am getting the same results.  This was with both ver of the the software (now v.75) and using a PLANTRONICS Voyager855 Stereo Bluetooth Headset which work beautifully any time other than when I forget and use 'speed-dialing'...whic kick my but and drives my friends and family crazy. ;o)   How do I tell BB to post an official trouble report....I am a first time BB owner and don't know where to take this...please advice and thanks for your thoughtfulness in advance.

My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

I wish I had known that when I dropped my iPhone for the Storm that I had to buy a PC running Windows to upgrade it.

This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. I don't think that the mac is a rare or odd platform thses days, if it ever was. What are we mac people supposed to do? I'd like a better answer than reiterating that I need Windows.

Update:

After calling Verizon support and complaining, I was told to go to a Verizon store and they would update it for me. Wrong. They wouldn't and helpfully suggested I borrow a PC. Thanks counter lady! You're the best! That never occurred to me. I'll just bum a PC for the next year or two everytime I need to upgrade the phone software/firmware. I'll decide by Monday whether to switch to a an 8830 BB which I liked a lot, or just go back to iPhone.

Message Edited by rudyhassen on 12-03-2008 03:54 PM
New Contributor

Who is running RIM and Verizon???  It seems as if two dudes in thier mothers garage are running them.  What other companies put out a crappy product and then to get an update you have to scour forums to find the new release of firmware?  Unbelievable. 
Regular Contributor
My Device: Storm - 9530

[ Edited ]

yeomanrycavalry wrote:

Trust me. You're not the only one. Mac users don't despair, PC users are equally having issues with the Storm. I really did want to like RIM's Storm, the alleged iPhone killer, etc. But RIM might be really done for after this mess is over. Both Verizon and RIM in my opinion knew this was not ready for release. There is NO way they could have not caught these so very obvious and glaringly noticeable bugs like locking up, accelerometer issues, the keyboard issues, etc.

From software issues with the Desktop Manager to issues with the Storm, both RIM and I hate to say it, Verizon made the fatal error of releasing this to the public in hopes of cashing in before the holidays and before the economy worsens. RIM may be on the verge of extinction by trying to play a stunt like this on the general public. I'm sure they will lose corporate accounts on those companies who banked on using the Storm and now can't!

One thing for sure, JP Powers, Consumers Digest, and the Better Business Bureau are well aware of what is going on with the consumer issues we're having. This does not bode well for RIM or Verizon/Vodafone/Teleus. Nothing has come out to address these issues to the public, no apologies, no reassurance there are immediate fixes on the way, nothing. I'm in a way anxiously waiting to see what sort of class-action lawsuit comes out of this mess RIM created.

Nope, just official denial at the lower levels of Verizon. Everyone says that there have been no problems, until I was in the store tonight trying to find the Omnia and hooked up my Jawbone...and got the same Klingon response. Then the Manager stated that there have been a few issues....and they might be releasing an update...when?

They are desperately trying to avoid a class-action lawsuit. From false advertising, to lost productivity to outright deceptive practices in not getting any fixes for this ASAP.

I have read that people should not get something when it is this new, blah, blah, blah.

Point 1) RIM knows that their solid corporate base would be jumping for a phone this hip, slick and cool. How could they have released it?

Point 2) RIM/Verizon both know how important these communication and PDA tools are to Corporate and business America.

The bottom line: I think that Verizon in having to downgrade these prior to release last week, picked the closes functionally working BETA version of the software due to some issue with the newer version not being completely locked down. Or they screwed up the flashing of the ROMS...or the ROMs were incorrectly compiled.

Message Edited by PC-ASSIST on 12-03-2008 01:34 AM
My Device: Storm - 9530

auburn1975 wrote:

Just installed the leaked .75 upgrade on both our STORMs using DM v4.7 with Roxio English only (not multilanguage)... and it went perfectly on both.  It could not had been smoother.  My device has been stable however my husband's has been rebooting at least 4 times a day as well as hanging up.  So I am very hopeful to see if this release will make a difference.  Although we are +8 years Treo people, we like the Storms and want it to come on-board....but it's been difficult so far.

There is this one bug that is still killing me in .75.  Have you seen it?  It's a bluetooth bug is an issue when using the earpiece with 'speed-dialing' but not 'voice command'.   It occurs any time with any of the 'speed dialing' keys are used where the call does not comes through the headset but the connection is made with the party but they can not hear you and you can not hear even though the line is connected.  I have tested this on both our two STORMS and am getting the same results.  This was with both ver of the the software (now v.75) and using a PLANTRONICS Voyager855 Stereo Bluetooth Headset which work beautifully any time other than when I forget and use 'speed-dialing'...whic kick my but and drives my friends and family crazy. ;o)   How do I tell BB to post an official trouble report....I am a first time BB owner and don't know where to take this...please advice and thanks for your thoughtfulness in advance.

This is with and without Voice Command.

Can anyone else please confirm my findings that the leaked .75 upgrade does not work with the UK Vodafone released 9500 model Storm, it appears only people in the US who have the 9530 can use this upgrade ?

Contributor

I have upgarded to the latest version .76  with Vodafone. it seems to be working ok!

I have not being following this thread but what happens if you do upgrade to it, since I have not noticed any problem yet (other than the normal ones: battery, etc)

Andrew

Contributor

US or europe?
New Contributor

how/where did you get the .76 upgrade from ?? Vodafone themselves or RIM ?
Contributor

I got it from Blackberry, http://www.blackberry.com/upgrades

OK! Not sure I should have done it but it seems to work.

Andrew

London, Vodafone