Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Forums Advisor II
My Device: BlackBerry Classic- SQC-100-4
My Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Accepted Solution

BlackBerry Torch 9850 PC board of battery issue.

For the past couple days, my torch 9850 has been draining quicker than usual. The drain rate has been about 4.31% per hour. Unfortunately today, I was using my torch to take a picture when I watched the battery indicator drain from about 80% to yellow to the red outline with the flashing led in less than 2 minutes. The phone also randomly shut off followed by a solid red led, followed by 2 red flashes. Since this morning I put a good known battery in it. It killed that in about 15 minutes. The only third party app I have is The Weather Channel. The only running app is phone, text messages, email, and contacts. I reloaded the software the first time it drained.
1. If a post has helped you, show your appreciation by clicking Like at the bottom of the message box.
2. If a post has solved your question, please click ''accept as solution'' to verify your question has been solved.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BlackBerry Torch 9850 PC board of battery issue.

Hello!

I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, see what happens.

If the behavior ceases, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

But if the behavior continues in Safe Mode, then you may need to consider more drastic actions -- WIPE, OS Reload, BBSAK Wipe/Reload, and the "Bare Bones" OS Reload Process. To prepare, you should be sure that you have a full backup to your PC...please review the Backup link in my auto-sig on this post for instructions.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Forums Advisor II

Well, earlier today, I smelled something like an electrical fire in my house, after searching and checking the outlets, I found the cause. It was the torch, it was literally to hot to touch and left a mark on the table it was sitting on. So, I found my bold 9930 that has a broken ribbon cable for the LCD and digitizer, I went to a repair shop and they gave my a busted LCD, which after several hours I was able to figure out how to remove and replace the cable. I also took my FLIR thermal imaging camera and found a component just under the SIM card reader that was about 134 *F. Long story short, The Bold is now activate and the issue with the torch was probably a dead short on the board. Thank you for your response.
1. If a post has helped you, show your appreciation by clicking Like at the bottom of the message box.
2. If a post has solved your question, please click ''accept as solution'' to verify your question has been solved.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

At an internet distance, I never in my wildest dreams would have taken such a leap from the symptoms you described to the result you discovered. I apologize that my advice was useless to your situation.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Forums Advisor II

I was shocked myself, especially from a 3.7 volt battery, tomorrow I will take the phone apart to see what melted, there had to have been a dead short in the board. Although, even despite the heat, the phone was still functioning. I guess I will have to wait until September for my upgrade. Probably I will get the z10.
Forums Advisor II

It seemed that a the plastic covering the board under the battery had melted, as far as what shorted, i have no idea. Thank you for your help anyway.