Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: VodaCom SA

BlackBerry Tour 9630 suddenly has no network coverage but there are signal bars.

Hi there

i have had my phone since August last year and I purchased it from a friend that went to the states and bought it for me. long story short - I have had no problems with the phone until 3 days ago when my BBM, WhatsApp,Emails, Internet all suddenly stopped working. I have 5days left until my BIS plan expires(surrely there souldnt be an issue)

I have looked on youTube, Google, 1000 forums for help but still nothing. Ive done a hard reset, tried sending host routing tables, tried registering my phone on BIS enterprises so that i can apparently receive service books but i cant even register there because im told that im not registeres with BIS? HUH? Anyways...im pretty pissed off because money is not growing in my back yard so i cant just get a new phone or pay for repairs that easily.

PPPPPPLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!

Ive included my BBs diagnostics test results just to make the helping proccess go quicker.

oh and as for the signal strength - i have great signal when chatting and when phoning except for the difference beingthat my gprs amd edge logo is in lowercase now. Ive tried the resets in other areas to make sure its not the location that is kicking me out.

Diagnostic Started: Jul 25, 2012 17:21
Diagnostic Completed: Jul 25, 2012 17:22
PIN: 30fd8005
MSISDN: 1111111111
Device Type: BlackBerry 9630
Application Version: v5.0.0.1030
Platform Version: 4.2.0.451
Service Books: RIM_IM,CICAL,CMIME,BBID,CICAL,CMIME,BBIMConfig,BBIM,BBIM,OTASL,BBIMConfig,YHO,KEYNEGO,BBIMConfig,LbsConfig,APPWORLD,WPTCP,MMS,WAPPushConfig
Free File Space: 77990407 bytes
Radio Data Activation: Yes
Signal Level: -83 dBm
Radio Access: EDGE
Network: VodaCom-SA
IP Address: 41.6.60.6
ICMP Ping Echo: Yes
BlackBerry Registration: No
Connected to BlackBerry: Abort
BlackBerry PIN-PIN: Abort
Server Name: BISE07C02S04
Email Address: 3244777@uwc.ac.za
Connected to 3244777@uwc.ac.za : Abort

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: BlackBerry Tour 9630 suddenly has no network coverage but there are signal bars.

Hello Lukinghart and welcome to the BlackBerry® Support Community Forums.

Sorry to hear you are having network connections with your BlackBerry® Tour™ 9630 smartphone.

Based on your PIN from your diagnostic report and reading over the report, you will need to contact your mobile carrier to investigate.

I was able to see your PrePaid plan is still active but if you credit has been used up then it could account for why your data services are not working.

Your mobile network provider can investigate this further for you.

Thanks!

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

Re: BlackBerry Tour 9630 suddenly has no network coverage but there are signal bars.

My account is still valid until the 1st of August. it is definitely still paid for. but i still do not see that the phone has had no isssues with network and BIS for 11motnhs and suddenly it has stopped?? Crazy and heartbreaking. is there any way i can sort the issue out?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Lukinghart wrote:

My account is still valid until the 1st of August. it is definitely still paid for. but i still do not see that the phone has had no isssues with network and BIS for 11motnhs and suddenly it has stopped?? Crazy and heartbreaking. is there any way i can sort the issue out?

Hello -- yes, you can sort this out...by following the advice previously given...contact your mobile service provider for formal support. They are 100% responsible for ALL of your services as well as ALL of your formal support. While you have received the generous benefit of a response here from a RIM staff member, such remains not part of your formal support channel, and your situation requires you to use your formal support channel. So, contact your mobile service provider to sort this out.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

But my support network will most probably be Sprint NETWORK as it is a Sprint handset. I live in South Africa so there is no way that i can contact USA to fix the issue. South African phone dealer shops(MTN,CellC and VodaCom) do not recognize the CDMA network coverage and therefore can do nothing about it.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

No no...not Sprint...they sold the handset, but they are not delivering any services to you in SA, are they? That would be rather odd if they were, unless you were on an international roaming plan from Sprint...and that would be costly indeed! Rather, what you are likely doing is using this Sprint handset (unlocked) on an SA carrier, leveraging the multi-bandwidth (e.g., CDMA, GSM, etc.) capability of the device...and it is that SA carrier that is responsible for delivering services to you.

Now, if they refuse to provide support, well they can do that if the problem has anything to do with the handset itself. Using a BB on a carrier that did not supply the BB can be quite problematic, as you are learning... Further, if the BB model number is not directly supported by that carrier (and a quick check of the Vodacom SA download portal confirms this is the situation for you), the problems magnify quite considerably as the carrier network will not normally deliver, to the handset, the necessary Service Books to enable functionality.

So, to find out if you have adequate credit on your account to keep your services running, you do need to talk to whoever has that account -- Vodacom SA as far as I can tell.

But, to keep your BB running on their network, these steps, in order, are required, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Resend Service Books

• KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you do perhaps have some major problems to deal with. Whatever "tricks" were originally done to make your 9630 work on the Vodacom SA network would have to be re-done...but I've no idea what "tricks" were done for you originally. Typically, it's a matter of extracting, from a fully functioning BB, the Service Books for the Vodacom SA network, and then importing those Service Books to your BB (since the Vodacom SA network likely won't deliver them to the non-native 9630).

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Done all of the above - host routing table does not return service msgs. Neither soes my Service books reregister.

Hall of Famer III

Sadly, that's what I expected to happen, since Vodacom SA does not natively support your BB model. As such, you need to do as I said in my last paragraph up there...

New Contributor
My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: MTN

I have similar issue,my BB is from MTN but I subscribed to BIS with my etisalat sim and they confirm that my BIS is activated on there system
.they asked me to go through the procedures of registering HRT, removing the battery and all that,my diagnostic test also shows similar thing with his own. But is mine a different case? The care center of the etisalat says my BIS is deactivated. How true is that?
Hall of Famer III

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

There is no way for anyone here, in this user-to-user community, to validate or refute what they are telling you. If your specific BB model is fully supported by etisalat AND your BB is unlocked from MTN AND your BB PIN is released from the MTN BIS system, then your BB should work just fine via the automatic methods. But if ANY of those are not true, then you will have much greater challenges (e.g., if your BB model is not specifically supported by etisalat, then the automatic methods won't work). But, again, no one here can tell you the answers to any of those questions...

Good luck!