Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-500 Review

BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-500 Review

RIM was kind enough to send out the BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-500 a while back for me to play around with, so now that I’ve had a chance to use it on and off for the past two months, here are my impressions.HS-500.jpg

Appearance:  The HS-500 has a simple and small design.  While this headset is a little wider than its predecessor (the HS-655+), it feels better.  The earpieces have been completely redesigned and several earpiece options are available including one basic earpiece and three earpieces with stabilization loops.  If you need additional stabilization, there are also two ear hooks that can be attached (see photo).

Features:  As part of the simple design, there is a power switch on the side and a single multifunction button that is used to answer calls, make calls, etc.  There is no volume control and instead it uses automatic volume control.  This headset will also stream music, movie audio, and give turn by turn directions from 3rd party GPS applications, etc.

Comfort:  I originally tried using the headset with the basic earpiece and an ear hook and had a lot of problems. It just wouldn’t fit right, especially because I have small ears.  So then I tried one of the earpieces with the stabilization loop.  Because of the size of the earpiece, I’m still unable to use it in one ear (ear is too small), but it fits perfectly in the other ear.  It doesn’t move, sits up against my cheek and unlike most other Bluetooth headsets I’ve tried, I’m no longer constantly trying to reposition it.  With the various earpiece options, nearly everyone should be able to find a combination that works for them.

Audio Quality:  I have had no problem hearing people on the other end, however, I do notice some disturbances in the Bluetooth connection from time to time.  This is more an issue when I’m walking and listening to music on the headset though.  The audio quality isn’t the same as using the BlackBerry Multimedia headset (obviously, being Bluetooth), but it’s acceptable.  One problem I have had though is that if I’m in a windy location, the person on the other end can have problems hearing me.  Otherwise, it’s been fine.

Overall Impressions:  After trying out the various earpieces and finding the right one, I can confidently say that this is the most comfortable Bluetooth device I’ve used yet, and it’s the first one that doesn’t feel like it’s going to fall off when I turn my head (if you’ve got small ears like me though, you may find some difficulties using this headset – the HS-655+ was better for very small ears).  The multifunction button takes a bit to get used to and you’ll want to spend a few minutes reading the user guide.  This will help you make the most out of the headset functions.  Audio quality was fairly good, but I’d avoid using this headset in windy locations or protect it from the wind if others are having trouble hearing you.  The automatic volume control is a nice feature, and it usually worked well.  If needed though, you can adjust the volume manually using the phone volume controls.  The only real problem I’ve had is that the power button is sensitive and the headset will occasionally turn on by itself in my purse or backpack as it bumps against things.  A protective case would have prevented this.

Overall, I think RIM got a lot of things right with this headset.  There are a couple of things that could be improved upon (e.g. smaller earpiece options for smaller ears), stiffer power switch (or protective case), and better wind management, but generally speaking, I found this to be one of the better Bluetooth headsets I’ve tried and used (this being the 6th over the past few years).  My older HS-655+ has now gone to my sister, while my Motorola headset is making its’ way to my boyfriend, and this one has managed to keep me happy enough for my personal use.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-500 Review

[ Edited ]

Awsome review!

Order a HS-500 here

www.shopblackberry.com for a BlackBerry® Wireless Headset HS-500

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Visitor
My Device: BlackBerry Pearl 8220 & BlackBerry headset HS-500
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

This headset is excellent!  Only one flaw and that's the ear hook...two came with mine and both are now broken.  I've searched EVERYWHERE for a replacement.  My only option if replacement cannot be found is to return the unit while it's still under warranty.  Anyone ideas/suggestions/help is most gratefully appreciated! 

My Device: Storm 2 (9550)
My Carrier: Verizon

I've had this headset for about a week and have been VERY impressed with it, except today I learned that when you mute the headset it beeps CONSTANTLY.  It's absolutely ridiculous and disruptive and completely defeats the purpose of having a mute.  I'm seriously so frustrated trying to do a conference call right now!!!  It literally beeps every 5 - 8 seconds!!!!!    Who the HECK decided that made sense????  Even once a minute is more than I care for but at least I could live with it.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Hi

I am having problems using my headset with my BB 9700. It connects and plays music bit no voice either sending or recieving - any ideas?

Thanks

Neil
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

neilwhite wrote:

Hi

I am having problems using my headset with my BB 9700. It connects and plays music bit no voice either sending or recieving - any ideas?

most of the time you can delete the paring on head set and pair it again to get it working.

to get HS500 in pairing mode, turn power on while holding answer button on for 5 seconds and run BT setup on phone, BT pass is 0000

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Hi

I have tried all your suggestion and still no joy - any advice?

Thanks

Neil
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Hi Neil,

Can you go to your Bluetooth Options, highlight the HS-500, press the BB Menu button and select Device Properties?  What does it say under services?

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

My Device: .

Guru III
My Device:

loop here

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MGVPWU