Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: 9800 Torch
My Carrier: Swisscom

BlackBerry World does not start

[ Edited ]

My 9800 starts up fine and all of my apps work as expected. Just BlackBerry World does not start. Selecting its icon produces no discernible response. P.S. Behaviour is the same whether on WiFi or 3G.

Subject Title edited to reflect new topic.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BlackBerry World does not start

[ Edited ]

rsbrux wrote:
I have the same problem as OP and don't find this response helpful. My 9800 starts up fine and all of my apps work as expected. Just BlackBerry World does not start. Selecting its icon produces no discernible response. P.S. Behaviour is the same whether on WiFi or 3G.

Hello,

I'm sorry you don't find the information helpful. But, please clarify...you say you have the same problem, but you don't mention the error that the OP receives. The response for the OP was specific to the existence of that error...if you don't have that same error, then the response does not apply to you because your situation is not identical to the OPs.

Please clarify.

Thanks.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry to have been so imprecise.  My problem is the same as OP's *original* problem.

I do not get any error messages.

Clicking on BB World on my Torch 9800 produces no response.

I have deleted it using BB Desktop Applications and checked after rebooting the Torch that it is gone, and then reinstalled it from the BB website (using the plugin), but the newly installed version is the same version I deleted (4.3.032) and is equally unresponsive.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

[ Edited ]

Being not exact to the OPs issues, the posts related to your issue will shortly be split out to a thread of their own. Stand by.

OK...now that we are not confused by the different issues in the prior thread, we can properly continue.

Please try this sequence for removing re-installing:

1) Remove AppWorld from your BB

• KB10040 How to view or remove installed applications on a BlackBerry smartphone
  • If it requests that you reboot the BB, do so

2) Do a Batt-Pull reboot (power on, remove battery, wait, insert battery, wait), even if redundant to the one you did in step 1.

3) Install (on your BB) a fresh copy of AppWorld

4) Do another Batt-Pull reboot

5) See if it now works.

Cheers!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for responding.

Unfortunately, the symptoms are still exactly the same after following your instructions to the letter.

The 9800 did request a reboot after uninstalling BB App World, and I performed the battery pull as well.

Since the KB article you referenced recommended uninstalling directly on the device, and since my previous attempts to reinstall via Desktop were unsuccessful, I reinstalled BB App World OTA (via WLAN).  No reboot was requested, but I  performed a battery pull after installation as you instructed.  However, there is still no response to any attempt to activate BBworld, either by touch or by select and click.  The newly installed BB App World still has the same version number as before: 4.3.0.32.

Hall of Famer III

Thank you for the details...very helpful. An interesting situation you have...please now try this sequence.

With a strong carrier network signal (e.g., not merely WiFi), I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Resend Service Books

• KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Reboot

• With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes.
  • See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Now try BBWorld again.

As a wild guess, also please check this:

• Article ID: KB30076 How to check for an IT Policy on a BlackBerry smartphone

If there is an IT Policy on your device and you are part of a corporate/enterprise/BES environment, then I'd suggest you seek help from your BES admins to see if perhaps there is something they are doing that is the cause of this.

On the other hand, if you have an IT Policy but are not part of BES, then there will be much more work for you to do in order to cleanse your BB of the IT Policy and thereby prevent it from potentially being causal.

On the 3rd hand (3 hands!!), if there is no IT Policy, then I am stumped...and refer you to your mobile service provider for formal support and potential escalation up to BB.

Good luck!

Contributor

Many thanks for the detailed instructions, and apologies for taking so long to respond.  Unfortunately, ther is no improvement.  When I activate the BB World icon, some data traffic is indicated in the upper right of the status bar, but the application's GUI does not display.  The behaviour is the same regardless of whether I ma connected via WiFi or via my mobile carrier.

I followed your instructions exactly, using the second option in KB02830 to resend the service books (since the first option refers to a further KB article).

There is no IT Policy visible under Options > Security > Security Status Information.  Instead there are two BIS entries.

Thanks anyway for your help!

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III

Then we are left with the final thing I recommended..."On the 3rd hand (3 hands!!), if there is no IT Policy, then I am stumped...and refer you to your mobile service provider for formal support and potential escalation up to BB.".

Good luck!