Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9380
My Carrier: Orange

BlackBerry applications and WiFi / Data plan.

Hi,

I bought a BlackBerry Curve 9380 a few weeks ago, I have a Data Plan and everything is working (Push E-Mail, BBM, BB Maps ...). But since I only have 500mb per month, I was wondering if I can have those applications running on WiFi when available, instead of using the Data Plan even when connected over WiFi.

Thanks in advance.

Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BlackBerry applications and WiFi / Data plan.

Data transferred over WiFi should not count against your mobile network 500mb/month data cap.

To insure it does not, you can go to your Manage Connections screen > Mobile Network  and turn off your connection to the mobile network, leaving ON your Data Services.

While it is known that while you do have a WiFi connection all data flows through the Wifi, doing this above may ease your mind.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks for your quick reply !

Then, all data without any exception does flow through the WiFi connection when available? Even BBM and the rest of the BlackBerry services?

Thanks again

Regular Contributor
My Device: Z30 + PB 64GB
My Carrier: Telus

Eony wrote:

Then, all data without any exception does flow through the WiFi connection when available? Even BBM and the rest of the BlackBerry services?

Thanks again

Hi Eony,

Yes, that's correct.

If you have both your wireless connection and your Wi-Fi turned on, your BB will automatically default to using the Wi-Fi while you're on a Wi-Fi network.

Test it for yourself by turning off your wireless connection and using BBM, Browser, etc. But there is no need to turn off the wireless connection to make this happen. As long as you're connected to Wi-Fi, your BB will do this all by itself.

Good luck, Noah

Twitter: @Elite1_
Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Eony wrote:

Yes, absolutely the way it works.

You're welcome.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Two correct answers given so far, now a warning from me.

Having a network connection and Wi-Fi open at the same time is fine, however if for any reason the Wi-Fi connection konks out, the only way you're going to know is if you're staring at your phone's screen.  Otherwise, your phone will revert to your network connection.  If there's any paranoia about which signal your phone is using, turning off your network connection will ensure 100% Wi-Fi.

BUT...............

500 MB of data in one month is a HECK of a lot of data for a mobile phone.  I had that much when I started and I can remember texting each day, checking emails, surfing the internet (including watching streaming video occasionally) and I never even hit 50 MB of data used.  So if your phone did use a bit of data due to a poor Wi-Fi connection, it wouldn't be worth losing sleep over.

I hope the three responses given to you offer a well-rounded reference for you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

Thank you all for your accurate replies! I guess I have no reason to be worried of my internet consumption at all anymore Smiley Happy