Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BlackBerry vs IPhone for applications

Hi

I'm giong to buy a smartphone and must choose between BlackBerry and IPhone.  From an aesthetic point of view i prefer by far BlackBerry bold. Shape is very nice and i prefer not buying touch devices. I'll use it mainly when i need to browse in the web to look for some information, or to find a street by the GPS system. But some friend of mine observed that more and more smartphone will be used to take advantage of the applications available on it, and the best and numerous applications are in IPhone, making this one preferable.

What you thinkk about that?

Thank you very much

Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BlackBerry vs IPhone for applications

Personally I think you won't go wrong with the BlackBerry. But of course I am biased, but you did come here to ask.

The iPhone's AppStore does have many more apps... something alone like 10,000 apps just to make flatulence noises from the device. How nice. Are those the kind of apps you will need?

If not, I certainly believe you will find the BlackBerry has a plethora of third party applications available both in and from without the App World here.

It could be easier for you (and us) if you simply made a short list of the type of apps you'll need. And then let's see what matches.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Ok thank you

First of all i guess the list of Apps for both the smatphone is nor closed, in the sense that once you buy one every day they come out new and new apps right? So what maybe today is not available in BB will be loaded tomorrow, right?

I know IPhone can use Fritz software for chess, or can find restaurant on guides everywhere. There is one application to find houses on sale on certain agency website, that drive you directly there via GPS. Stuff like that.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

[ Edited ]

hello,

what iPhones 3GS excel in better than a BlackBerry Bold :

• it's touchscreen (but you don't like that...)
  • it's got a bigger screen (but same pixel size than the Bold which makes the Bold better image quality in reality)
  • there are many wonderful 3D games
  • there are many many useless appls with a WOW effect (good to share with friends once but not twice)
  • there's an iPod included, meaning very nice for music
  • browsing is very efficient with Safari, and many websites are optimized for the iPhone
  • there are hundreds of accessories, you will certainly find many you like
  • it has a compass, which can be useful in some LBS applications

what the Bold excels better than an iPhone :

• got a real keyboard. that matters to people like you.
  • better screen Smiley Wink
  • supports more video formats than the iPhone (divx for example)
  • it's a BlackBerry, so better at handling email, battery lasts longer, you can buy from another carrier than AT&T
  • many browsers are available : Opera Mini, BOLT and soon Skyfire that will handle Adobe Flash.
  • you don't need iTunes to upload an mp3 on your device
  • you don't need a specific cord to connect your device to a PC/Mac. A regular USB cord is enough
  • it's tougher. Drop it and chances are it will have some scratches but nothing more.

about LBS (location based services), it's nearly the same between the iPhone and the BlackBerry devices (apart from the Compass)
Message Edited by Xandrex on 09-28-2009 12:22 AM

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Thank you

Definitely i prefer the blackberry. I am just sorry for Compass Technology. I guess in the future it will be included in some other model. I immagine it can't be just updated later right?

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

mrblue wrote:

Thank you

Definitely i prefer the blackberry. I am just sorry for Compass Technology. I guess in the future it will be included in some other model. I immagine it can't be just updated later right?

Hello,

indeed the compass is a real piece of hardware, you can't upgrade it using just software.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: