Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry 10 Key Pad

Does your new Blackberry 10 key pad recognizes "FINGERNAILS"?  I do not wish to use a stylist pen reminds me to much of using the Palm Pilot. If I have to use a Stylist, why not a pen, pencil, and paper.

I have the 8300 the pad is amazing! The product is amazing!

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Blackberry 10 Key Pad

[ Edited ]

Very little information has been released about BlackBerry 10 products so far.  If the BlackBerry PlayBook, which runs the same software, is any indication, fingernails will not work.  Recent BlackBerry phones with touchscreens rely on heat from your finger to indicate where you're touching on the screen.  Unless your fingernail generates heat (which I'm pretty sure it doesn't), you're going to be out of luck.  Using a stylus, like you can on an iPhone or Android, is so yesterday.....BlackBerry phones are way beyond that.

I hope that helps you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Solutions: 6,394
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

If you're asking about the Full hard keyboard model bb10 device, you just use your fingers like you currently do so on your 8300.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Currently my Blackberry has raised keys which making typing with fingernails ideal. A flat screen has "always" been  impossible to type upon with fingernails. These screens only recognize "flesh". I doubt you are accurate in your answer-Sorry.

Again, I am asking has Blackberry's Developers able to correct this long standing issue? Can the new BB10 flat screen recognize both fingernails as well as flesh?

I hate to purchase a unit I can't type upon and must return. This is more a Developer/Tecnician question.

I appreciate your answer and I thank you for it.

Solutions: 6,394
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Your question is actually faulty, since BB10 devices will include both full screen touch devices, as well as hard keyboard devices.

So, please distinguish which type BB10 device you're asking about: The L-series will be full screen touch only. The N-series will have a true keyboard.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code