Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry 8100 Not Recognized via USB

I have been working on this for the last 2 hours and it's kicking my butt. My 8100 will not connect via USB. My computer doesn't recognize it. I turned off power management on the USB hubs, it is connected to a rear usb port, I have done a clean uninstall and reinstall. 

My device is not listed under the device manager: under USB or other devices. nothing at all. I don't get a new hardware pop-up when i plug it in, however it does charge. Therefore desktop manager doesn't recognize it, or device manager.

I am on XP and running 4.2.1 on the phone. I have not had blackberry software on this computer since I did a reformat a few months ago. The last install and uninstall were both done today. with the 5.0 DTM software.

Thank you

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry 8100 Not Recognized via USB

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Here is the list of troubleshooting atricles...hopefully something will be useful:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Desktop-Software/Tips-for-getting-BlackBerry-Deskt...
KB02640 Troubleshooting USB connections
KB15486 Top 10 BlackBerry smartphone and BlackBerry Desktop Manager troubleshooting tips
KB11439 BlackBerry Desktop Software does not detect the BlackBerry smartphone when it is connected
KB00019 No PIN displayed in BlackBerry Desktop Redirector
KB10938 "USB charging current is insufficient" appears on the BlackBerry smartphone
KB01451 How to turn on advanced synchronization logging if a wired synchronization fails

Also, check that you are using only root USB ports...no hubs (sometimes the front-side ports are hubs...use a rear USB port). And make sure to try disabling USB power management in your system configuration (Device Manager).

Apologies in advance if this is redundant -- there's no way to be sure if you've already seen and tried these.

Hopefully something there is helpful!

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

I said in my original post that I had used the rear usb and also turned off power management. My phone still does not show up under device manager. All of my steps and replies are in bold. what should i try next?

I did this bus usb mass stoarage keeps coming back when i click search (with phone unplugged)

I've done this already - KB02640 Troubleshooting USB connections - 
I've done this already - KB15486 Top 10 BlackBerry smartphone and BlackBerry Desktop Manager troubleshooting tips
I've done this already - KB11439 BlackBerry Desktop Software does not detect the BlackBerry smartphone when it is connected
I did this with no resultKB00019 No PIN displayed in BlackBerry Desktop Redirector
not an issue - EKB10938 "USB charging current is insufficient" appears on the BlackBerry smartphone
not an issueKB01451 How to turn on advanced synchronization logging if a wired synchronization fails

New Contributor

additionally i've tried a clean install on all 3 of my computers

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9790
My Carrier: Fido

I wish I had the answer, however I have been going through exactly the same thing you have.  Have tried each of the steps you did, and have the same result.  

My boyfriend has a BB Curve, and his works just fine with the Desktop manager software that came with MY PEARL.  When it connects via USB it starts right up and he can transfer information no problem.

How do I get my phone connected with the computer????  Could it be something with the phone itself???????

By the way, I'm in Canada, and my provider is FIDO.  I haven't tried to contact them yet....

New Contributor

start your own thread and see if they reply to yours with a different solution... seems to be a reoccurring issue with this phone looking at the forums and the forums at crackberry

New Contributor

I did.... hopefully one of us will get an answer!

New Contributor

I actually just called my service provider - didn't do that before trying to troubleshoot myself - he confirmed that there is an issue with the USB on the pearl - it will accept some USB chargers and not others.... and the USB to computer connection is one that has been giving them difficulty.

They're sending me a new phone, on warranty exchange. Might be an option for you??

I just want to make sure that the pics I have stored on my phone are indeed on my micro SD card and not the internal memory, so I don't lose anything when the new one comes in 2 weeks via UPS.

Good Luck!

Highlighted
New Contributor

I wish RIM would take responsibility for this, and that it wouldn't have to be my service provider.

you can switch pics from internal memory to micro sd so it won[t be a problem