Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry 8120 - Powers off by itself

Anyone else experience this problem? Whether plugged in and charging or not connected to a power source, the phone will go into sleep mode and then turn off and then turn on. It will then keep in that same cycle unless you are using the phone to keep the screen active. I have gone through 3 phones in 24 hours and the same thing has happened on each of the phones. I hope someone has also seen this problem and has a solution. THis is extremely inconvenient!! Smiley Mad
Forums Advisor I
My Device: Curve 8900

Re: Blackberry 8120 - Powers off by itself

Do you have a microSD memory card installed in the device?
New Contributor

Yes I do have a memory card installed.
Forums Advisor I
My Device: Curve 8900

There was an issue that someone discovered where their Pearl 8120 was continually rebooting when the memory card was installed. It turned out it was because the card needed to be formatted in the 8120 before it could be used. If it was formatted in an earlier device and then put in to the BlackBerry 8120, it would cause restarts.

So try to move any information off the card, then place it in to the 8120 and format it in the 8120. Then move the information back on to the card. 

New Contributor

Fantastic!!!!! Thank you so much for eliminating my stress!! You are appreciated!
New Contributor

One more thing.. any chance formatting it wont solve the problem? I formatted the SD for the 8120, and it worked fine for about an hour and then it started turning itself on and off again. I went ahead and took the media card out just to eliminate the annoying problem. No problems when there is no media card inserted.
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: 8520, 9700

This issue has occured since a couple Model's, inlcuding the 7290.

It was corrected in later releases of Firmware.

If memory serves me, When I worked for a carrier it was found to be some Network issue, as it happened with Batches of devices. Newer code for the device resolved this after addressing with RIM and re-testing the newer code. 

Not sure how this worked out with a Network problem...I can only guess that a Connection failure caused a reboot.

This may not be the case in this instance but something to keep in mind.