Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry 8330 and Mac Sync Issues

Hi, I am hoping that someone can help.  Neither my Mac mini or Blackberry recognize that they are connected.  I have downloaded the Pocketmac and upgrades.  I have also downloaded Cleansync.  I am operating an OSX 10.4.11.

Does anyone had a solution or has had similar experience? 

Regular Contributor
My Device: 8300

Re: Blackberry 8330 and Mac Sync Issues

Hi!  I thought I might be able to help with this. You have one of the newer, high-speed devices from RIM that were released after the last version of PocketMac was posted.

First, visit the download page:  http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/mac.jsp and start the download process again.  As you move to the download screen, select PocketMac V4.0.20b for BlackBerry.  Then, on the next screen, you have two program choices to download.

It sounds like you have already downloaded the main PocketMac software, under the heading "PocketMac v4.0.20b for BlackBerry."  If you have erased it, go ahead and download it again, and Install that first.

Since you have one of the newest devices (8330), you also need to download the patch that allows you to connect to that as well.  That patch is on the same page, under the heading, "PocketMac Driver update -- DriverUpdate.dmg."  Install that just AFTER you have installed the main PocketMac Program.

I'm not sure about that "cleansync" program. PocketMac has one called "CleanSync" that you can use if you need to erase the historical data on the Mac and start the Sync again, as if it were the first time. I recommend holding off on that one until your connection issues are resolved. It's pretty rare that people actually need to use that tool.

If you have done the program and the patch, and it still doesn't work, I invite you to work directly with tech support at http://www.pocketmacsupport.net, so the support engineers can go over all the details of your system and help you identify other conflicting issues promptly. (For example, some software programs block the connection, including a console program by Logitech, surprisingly.) 

---------------
Have a great day!
Anne M.
PocketMac Team
Direct support available for PocketMac for BlackBerry FREE at http://tinyurl.com/RIMsupport

Hi!  I am having similar problems trying to sync my blackberry 8330 with my OSX 10.5.2.  I downloaded both the pocketmac software and the driverupdate and it still will not connect.  Every time I try it, it just says there was an error that occurred and that it skipped.  I checked all my settings and usb connections and they were all in order.  Now I'm just stuck please help!

Having the same issue.  Downloaded pocketmac and the patch but receive the cannot  sync - skipping error.

Looking for assistance please!

Using a new 8330 on Verizon.

Thanks. 

New Contributor

Same issues here. Glad I found this thread, as I was getting frustrated thinking I was doing something wrong.
Contributor

Went through this Friday night and Saturday...and finally figured it out.

As previous posts stated (a) make sure you have latest version of Pocketmac, (b) down load the new driver patch for high speed Blackberries and install after you install Pocketmac.

Now for the rest of the story...

(1) I discovered that my 8330 did not have the Blackberry DEVICE Software. Why I don't know, but it didn't.  Which meant the desktop software could not communicate or even recognize what device was attached. Since I'm using Verizon I went to the Verizon website and downloaded the DEVICE software for the 8330 and installed.

(2) According to Blackberry you cannot load and install the DEVICE software using MAC. You have to (a) install the Windows version the desktop software then use its Application Loader to load the DEVICE software.  I did this using Windows on my MAC (also have Windows PC at home to use if needed).  Went though this exercise and worked fine.

(3) However, after doing all this I still could not get Pocketmac to communicate with the 8330 after the DEVICE software was loaded. Then I figured it out. I had the 8330 USB cable connected via a USB Hub on the Mac.  I connected the cable directly to my iMAC and voila...synched perfectly with iCAL and Apple Address Book. 

One last point...Entourage 2008 apparently does not work with Pockemac at this time. Got repeated errors..So gave up on that and simply use iCAL and Address Book.

Hope this helps...

Harry 

Hi.  Could you please verify the version of OSX you are using - is it Leopard?  I am running 10.5.3 and am not having any luck, even after following the installation of the DEVICE software and I am not using a USB hub - just connecting directly to my MacBook Pro.
Regular Contributor
My Device: 8300

I want to make sure you guys have the patch that is needed since the new devices came out AFTER PocketMac was posted.  First, visit the download page: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/mac.jsp

and start the download process again. As you move to the download screen, select PocketMac V4.0.20b for BlackBerry. Then, on the next screen, you have two program choices to download.

You have probably already downloaded the first one, under the heading "PocketMac v4.0.20b for BlackBerry." If you have erased it, go ahead and download it again.

Since you have one of the newest devices (like the 8110, 8120, 8130, 8310 or 8330), you also need to download the patch that allows you to connect to those as well. That patch is on the same page, under the heading, "PocketMac Driver update -- DriverUpdate.dmg."

TO INSTALL:
1. IMPORTANT: Disconnect your BlackBerry from your Macintosh.  CLOSE POCKETMAC if it's open.  This allows some important files to be "released" so they can be replaced by the patch.
2. If you uninstalled PocketMac for BlackBerry, reinstall the main program now.
3. When the installer is finished, you will be prompted to restart. DO NOT click the restart button.
4. Install the Driver Update file please, this installer will complete very quickly.
5. Finally, restart the Macintosh now that the software application and driver updater installers have been completed.

After the restart is complete, please launch PocketMac for Blackberry, then plug-in your BlackBerry handheld. Click the Sync button to begin the synchronization session.

If you still can't connect, here are some steps you can perform to make sure the new patch is installed correctly:

1. Please unplug your BlackBerry and count to 60 seconds. This allows the
driver to completely release. (Likely, the driver wasn't released last time you tried installing the patch, so the new one didn't install correctly.)

2. Please open Finder, and locate the following folder: MacintoshHD/System/Library/Extensions/.

3. Within the "Extensions" folder, you will see a list of .kext files. scroll down the very long list, and locate the two files that start with "BlackBerry" files.

4. Please remove both of these files from your Mac: "BlackBerry.kext" and "BlackBerryUSBDev.kext". You will need your Apple Administrator user account password to remove these files from the Extensions folder. After you do so, empty your trash, please.

6. Install the driver again. After you've finished the installer/driver package, please restart your Macintosh.

7. Finally, plug-in your BlackBerry handheld, then launch PocketMac for BlackBerry. The PocketMac Sync Manager should now be able to find your BlackBerry.

---------------
Have a great day!
Anne M.
PocketMac Team
Direct support available for PocketMac for BlackBerry FREE at http://tinyurl.com/RIMsupport
New Contributor

When I go to the Download page I get this message:

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://swdownload-us.rim.com.edgesuite.net/swdownloads/PocketMacForBlackBerry4b.dmg?" on this server.

Reference #18.33a51a45.1213531310.c916af1

I have tried repeatedly.

Any other server?

thanks

jaime 

New Contributor

The access denied issue continues regardless of browser used. 

Is the software is available somewhere else?