Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry 8330 to Nokia 500 Bluetooth PBAP Phone Book Access Profile and Phonebook Sync Problem

I am trying to determine if the Blackberry 8330 (on Bell Mobility Network in Canada) supports the Bluetooth profile PBAP (Phone Book Access Profile), and whether this BB will be compatible with a Nokia 500 Auto Navigation GPS that syncs the mobile phone's phonebook for touchscreen dialing?  I have a friend that is having trouble syncing (it syncs only part of his contact list) which leads me to believe it is supported, but we're having trouble trying to figure out why its not working completely.  Other similar car kits have issues with the Phone Book Access using Blackberry's so there seems to be a common issue here.

I don't want to purchase this GPS to find out if it is compatible as I can't return it.

I have not yet updated the software in my BB8330 to the latest 4.5 yet, and I am wondering if that is my friend's problem as well?

Thank you for any assitance you can give!

My Device: 8100

Re: Blackberry 8330 to Nokia 500 Bluetooth PBAP Phone Book Access Profile and Phonebook Sync Problem

[ Edited ]

I have a pearl 8100 - yes, blackberry is demented and mostly a marketing company with minimal technical support.  I have same/similar problems.  Voice dial does not work. I only get 1 contact in there - my last name <space> last name and that is it.  The GPS is very nice, however.  My friend has a newer blackberry, different model - don't remember which, and hers works perfectly!  Hence, I am here to see if there is a fix.  Guess I'll call T-mobile to see what they say.

I did, however, run across a few websites which talk about unlocking the GPS.  Apparently, not too difficult.  When unlocked, you get access to winCE (it's OS) and can add programs, etc.  The database for contacts seems to be proprietary.

Nokia has not been helpful - they seem to have discounted and dropped this - if you go to their website, you can barely find anything on it.  I got mine for $100 -- I like it a lot...  replaced an aging TomTom on palm zire with a blown speaker, so I had wires and things all over to use it.  I miss some tomtom things, but like having an updated map and a single unit that does it all and seems to find the signal a lot faster and better.

Yeah, I know, not very helpful... but that is what I found.  I assume that you are not near your friend otherwise you could just try it.  Another thought is to ask your friend to go by one of the phone stores and try the EXACT same model with his GPS to see if it works.   As I said, the contacts are useless and the voice dial doesn't work -- I hear it, it doesn't hear me.  But, hers works great.  No, you can't put anything on from the PC -- and you cannot enter contacts by hand!!

-- Joe B.

Message Edited by joebeauchamp on 01-23-2009 12:22 AM