Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Blackberry 9000
My Carrier: None

Blackberry 900 - Version 4.6.0 wifi connection problem with Linksys WRTS54G2 V1.5

Greetings,

After recently buying a Blackberry 9000 (v4.6.0.303) for programming purposes (no data plan at all), I had to buy myself a wireless router to be able to access internet on my Blackberry. For that I chose the Linksys WRTS54G2 V1.5 (S/N: CSV21J7C2161) which I thought would work as a charm. It is to note that the router was plugged into another router (A D-Link DI-604), therefore DHCP was disabled on it, and it was in Router mode, not Gateway mode.

I tried for several hours to connect with the Blackberry to the Linksys router, It would always indicate success but then in the browser (configured with Hotspot browser - the only option available for me anyways), I would always get the message: "unable to find the requested server". I tried different security settings, but to no avail, at a last resort I returned my Linksys router and replaced it with a wireless D-Link router, (DIR-601) and after configuration it has worked like a charm.

p.s: As expected the wifi icon is always grayed out, because i do not use any BIS Data Plan.

Therefore, beware there seems to be an incompatibility between Linksys and Blackberry....

Best regards

-- Carl Eric Codère
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Blackberry 900 - Version 4.6.0 wifi connection problem with Linksys WRTS54G2 V1.5

Sometimes Linksys routers work great.  Sometimes they don't.  I had to install DD-WRT on my LInksys router to make it work well with UMA.

The one DLink I installed for someone worked the best for an "out of the box" router. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Developer
My Device: Blackberry 9000
My Carrier: None

Re: Blackberry 900 - Version 4.6.0 wifi connection problem with Linksys WRTS54G2 V1.5

Greetings,

Hopefully, someone at Blackberry or at Cisco will communicate with the other party since I consider it a very serious issue. I just wanted to post the problem in the forum so that other people can find the solution (I did search on google for quite a while to find the issue)...And thank you for posting the DD-WRT solution, good idea for those who cannot ask for a product exchange!

Best regards,

-- Carl Eric Codère