Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Blackberry 9360
My Carrier: O2

Blackberry 9360 no service, gets wifi

Hi, bought a blackberry 9360 second hand broken (I'm a poor student!), the description said it wouldn't start. I reinstalled the software and downgraded to 7.0 and it works just fine, aside from the fact the trackpad didn't work, so I opened it up and cleaned the contacts and that works fine now, everything's fine except I get no service. Given the 'vodafone' background I'm assuming it was once locked, but the advanced settings screen in options indicates that it's unlocked, yet my working o2 sim isn't getting anything. Any ideas?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry 9360 no service, gets wifi

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

That initial "splash screen" is actually not relevant...every BB is originally manufactured for a specific carrier, and some have RIM put that splash screen onto them. But, you can, if you unlock properly, use the BB on another carrier...but the splash screen will always be that of the original carrier, you cannot change that.

You say your BB is properly unlocked, but just to be sure, please double check with this:

If indeed it is unlocked, then the second issue could be incompatibility with the O2 network...you need to check the specifications of your device (e.g., GSM vs CDMA, specific radio frequencies, etc.) against that O2 uses. If they are not compatible, then that would explain your situation.

It may also be that the BB is capable of the specifics of the O2 network, but you need to make some alterations in the Mobile Network Settings so as to cause your BB to use the correct settings to match O2.

Another issue could be the SIM itself...sometimes they are simply defective. You should see if you can obtain a replacement to be sure.

Another issue could be that there is more wrong with this BB than was described to you...it could well be that it's got a hardware issue (e.g., the SIM card reader is bad), and nothing can help that.

All in all, that's a number of things for you to check...good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................