Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry 9630 Tour - Reload Software: 552 - Mac

This is my second Tour since I bought my first Blackberry a couple of weeks ago.  I know I'm definitely not in the norm as being a Blackberry user and a Mac user as well, but I need help.  I recently was deleting some frivolous apps I had downloaded from App World, and when I rebooted, I was met with this error message - Reload Software: 552.  I've seen some of the other posts here regarding the same error message, but I'm having a problem loading any software onto my device since Desktop Manager only works on Windows computers.  I can't even download the OS to install because that page requires IE 5.5, and they stopped making IE for Mac 4 years ago.  I don't want to have to keep trading in my Tour, especially if this really is a problem that I could possibly fix myself.

Does anybody have any suggestions for me to try?  Removing the battery gives the same results, and the folks at the Verizon store I took my first Tour to didn't know what to do, and that's why they had me just swap it out completely.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG853), Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry 9630 Tour - Reload Software: 552 - Mac

HI and Welcome to the Forums!

FWIW -- Here is the official KB about the 552 error:

KB18751 Error "App Error 552" is displayed on the BlackBerry smartphone

Sadly, you are correct that DTM presently only runs on PC's to do what is necessary. But, what is necessary is to reload the OS, which means you need to find a PC to do that on since you can't do it on your MAC. Perhaps you can take the KB to the store and show them and they can do it for you?

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Device: Not Specified

ptsinger, I'm sorry to hear about what you've been experiencing.  I am a Windows user but I've had similar experiences with the Blackberry 9630 Tour...except I'm on my 3rd!  I'm not with Verizon, I'm with U.S. Cellular and I have to tell you that they have been very kind and sympathetic with me every time I've been there.  I told them I was scared to get yet another BB 9630 Tour and thought about downgrading to a BB 8330 Curve, which is what I had before.  I never had any problems with the Curve.  However, the Tour has better picture quality, more memory, etc.  Just wanted to share my story to let you know you are not alone!  Even if you hade a pc running Windows, I'm here to tell you that it probably wouldn't do you any good.  I too am very familiar with the Blackberry phones, I'm a BB geek!  And I'm here to tell you that not even I could of fixed the 552 error problem.  I even went straight to the Blackberry's website, found my carrier's link to download the device software and at first I thought I had succeeded when it started to do something, the little icons where it shows the phone and the pc hooked up, but then it went back to the drawing board of having that nice white background with the error message 552 Reload software!  Aaaahhh!!!!  And every time it was either because I was removing a program, upgrading a program, or downloading a simple launcher....very, very frustrating.  But all we can do is hope that Blackberry will come up with a solution.  I'm on my 3rd Blackberry 9630 Tour and crossing my fingers, I asked USCC if by chance this one also gave me problems if I could swap it yet again and they assured me I could.  Only maybe next time I'm going to either downgrade or go to a completely different phone, which I really, really don't want to do.  Good luck, my dear and hang in there.

New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630

omg i am somewhat relieved to see that I'm not the only one struggling with my Tour. I'm a first-time Blackberry owner, I've had my Tour for 2 months now, and I'm extremely disappointed. I've already had 5 or 6 of those "reload software 552" errors. From what i've seen on the forums, exchanging it for another Tour won't do any good, so i don't even bother (my carrier is Verizon, btw). I've tried reloading the OS and the problem always returns inevitably. This last one happened when my Desktop Manager upgraded my OS to the version. I assume that other blackberry models don't have this many problems, but nevertheless i don't feel like i can trust a family of devices that have been around this long, yet still require the user to pull the battery in order to reboot them! What kind of hardware/software integration is that??? And that is normal operating procedure for Blackberries? I know about the QuickPull app, but why doesn't Blackberry include something like that as part of its OS? Why does a third-party app developer have to even have to come up with a hack like that to simply reboot the device? I'm not sure how much longer I'll put up with my Tour, but my next phone definitely won't be a Blackberry. I'll try an Android or something next time.

New Contributor
My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: MTN Nigeria

Why always Tour9630, am completely fed up. Just upgraded from Curve8520 now to be facing this problem.