Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Blackberry 9630 Tour. Verizon
My Carrier: Vodacom or Cell c South Africa

Blackberry 9639 Tour in South Africa

Can anyone help, I bought a 9630 a year ago on the internet which worked fine till a month ago when I decided to upgrade to V5.0.0.975.  Well this was a mistake I can now only make and receive calls. I activated my BB subscription but no joy, I cant use *100# to check my balance, sayd no conection, no BBM nothing. Can't get the Enterprise Activation going, I can put in my e mail address pin but what is my Activation Password? where do I get this? my service provider Vodacom recons I must dump the phone and purchase a new one, it worked fine till my upgrade, what can I do to get it going again.  Peter.  Cape Town

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry 9639 Tour in South Africa

Hi and Welcome to the Community!!

After any update or when things go wonky, I always suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Delete and Resend Service Books

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • If you have no CMIME entry, then skip the deletion
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then it may be that someone did some special things before you purchased to make this BB function properly on that carrier network...and, updating wiped out those special things. Whatever they were (I've no way to know), they would have to be redone after the update. You may want to talk to the seller to find out what they have had done before you purchased it.

Note that many carrier reps will tend to recommend you buy a new one when things go wrong. While it may be a revenue desire thing, it's also a support and warranty thing. Since you did not purchase your BB from them, they are not responsible for any support nor warranty issues related to the device itself...device support/warranty is always provided by the original place of purchase or, in some regions, an authorized service center. Hence, when something goes wrong in circumstances like this, the carrier reps will tend to "blame the device", for which they have no responsibility. If you purchase your device from the carrier on which you operate, then they are 100% responsible for all support to you, including the device, and such conflicts do not arise.

Also note that, unless you are on Corporate/BES, then you should stay away from anything to do with "Enterprise". If, on the email setup screens, you only see "Enterprise", then your services are not being properly delivered to your BB by your carrier. Sadly though, only they (your carrier) have access to the "behind the scenes" systems to determine why your BB and their network are no longer properly communicating. If the above steps do not cure it, then you may well be forced to obtain a new device that will properly function on their network and that they can provide support for.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................