Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Regular Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone

Blackberry 9900 initialization failed/Invalid SIM card problem

Hello,

I recently bought an unlocked at&t Blackberry 9900  running 7.0.0.576 and put my vodafone SIM card in it...it works fine.

then I tried upgrading the OS to 7.1.0.342 but as soon as the upgrade is finished, I get initialization failed and SOS message on screen and I can't make any phone calls.

If I wait long enough...5+ hrs, the error turns into Invalid SIM card.

First I thought it was a SIM card issue, so I got a new SIM card but the problem still persists. Everytime i downgrade back the SIM card starts working so I thought it has to do with the upgrade, but if I put a prepaid SIM card when OS 7.1.0.342 is installed then it starts working again...

I really want to upgrade since all the great features are on the 7.1...

Has anyone experienced this problem? I've read all similar threads online but none of them apply to me/worked for me.

Thanks

Regular Contributor

Re: Blackberry 9900 initialization failed/Invalid SIM card problem

come on please....any suggestion? anything at all?! when I enter MEPD all I see is unknown next to all entries. 

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Optus

[ Edited ]

this is what I think, but since you have your blackberry is with AT&T and your sim card is with vodaphone the software version might be different. Your OS7.1 might be with AT&T but your using a vodaphone sim card.

Try download the OS7.1 from vodaphone and see what happens.

Here is a link with a bunch of network carriers and look for you sim card carrier and download your OS7.1 from there

http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

If that doesn't help then I don't know whats wrong

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Optus

or it might be the other way around.

download the software from AT&T and upgrade it from there
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700

I tried Vodafone's 7.1 version but it didn't work...issue still persists...AT&T has not released 7.1 yet....which I suspect is causing the problem....but I looked on the forum...and a lot of people who are with AT&T have upgraded with no problem....

I've exhaused all my resources and haven't managed to find a solution...does anyone know if RIM has a techincal contact # I could call? I didn't find any #s...on their support page.

Regular Contributor

Well...i am not sure what happened....but after a while the phone fixed itself and recognized the sim card!!! I didn't do anything...which is quite bizzar!!  anyways...i love bold 9900 running 7.1 10 times more now...

Highlighted
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: Telefonica

Hello there, I have the same problem with my AT & T BB Torch 9810, sohrabza how do you solve the problem??? You said that after a while your phone fix itself, what do you mean? Do you leave your phone with the initialization failed error for few hour, and them it fix itself without doing anythin? while you were waiting, the phone was on or off??? Or you try again to upgrade and after few tries you got it? Please explain. 

How long it take you? Please let me know I'm desperate. Thanks a lot!

Bye, 

Mario