Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Solutions: 6,378
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry 9900 will not start up. Gets Stuck.

Test

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code

First thing to try is to start the device in Safe Mode.

How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

After you have tried this several times, let me know if you are successful or not.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900-1256
My Carrier: Base (Belgium)

Thanks for the reply but ... when the loading bar runs from L to R , it stops at about 80 % and that is it. So, the device doesn't load completely. So, I cannot reach the point  where it should hear a beep or when the bar shows the device is loaded. Pressing the escape button doesn't do anything. NOT ONE BUTTON is active, not even the on/off.  At random, the red light shows and the device starts loading but never completely. Switching off is only done by removing the battery. Untill last Monday the device was ok. It just happened without any reason.when I launched the device yesterday. Terrible, and I do not expect much help from RIM ... The device is 20 months old.

1) Make sure you have Blackberry Desktop Manager installed.
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/
2) On your PC, go to Start > Run and copy and paste the following line exactly (meaning with the quotation marks):

"c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader\loader.exe" /nojvm

3) The Application Loader Wizard will appear -- click "Next."
4) In the "Connection:" drop-down menu, you should see "USB-PIN: UNKNOWN". Click the "Next" button.
5) You should then see a list of applications ready to be installed for your Blackberry. Hit Next and Finish and you are well on your way to getting your Blackberry back to life. Congrats! Just don't disconnect anything and let the lengthy process finish completely.

NOTE: If you do not see a list of applications mentioned in step 5 and instead see the message "The Blackberry Desktop Software does not have Blackberry Device Software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or system administrator," then you must download Blackberry's Operating System for your carrier and device.

BlackBerry Device Operating System downloads: http://www.blackberryforums.com/blackberry-device-specific/
Just select the appropriate device model from the list and download the latest version. Install this download and follow the above steps again and you should be on the right path.

IF the above does not work or help, You will need to use JL_Cmder to wipe the device and subsequently load the OS to the device. Follow the instructions here:

Download JL_Cmder http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-software/18789-jl_cmder.html
or download BBSAK http://bbsak.org/download.php

If JL_Cmder does not work, you can try this:
KB10144, http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10144
and this: KB20371 http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB20371

Additional information:
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB24395 "Error 523", "App Error 523", or "JVM 523" appears on the BlackBerry smartphone

Article ID: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10144
KB10144 How to force the detection of the BlackBerry smartphone using Application Loader

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I realize that the main problem is that the device is unable to load completely. Result is that I cannot load in safe modus either and never achieve the opening screen.

And my instructions above?

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

First of all, I appreciate very much your efforts to help me out.

Regarding your instructions:

The Application Loader Wizard appears so : NEXT

"Connection" appears but the drop down menu is empty and the "auto detect" cannot be activated

I think that is normal as the device cannot connect to the PC.

The PC detects the BlackBerry but also warns me that the hardware is not working properly.

The device shows the red led at random and starts loading at random but the loading bar stops at about 80 procent.

Not one single button reacts. Sometimes, the loading stops and sometimes I have to take the battery out to finish the stuck loading.

Sometimes the Desktop Manager shows my PIN and asks for the password, but without any further action.

The Desktop Manager keeps on searching for a connection and asks me to push the on/off button for 10 seconds.

I can push the dead button ... no change. Then I am asked if I want a repair and loose my stuff. No problem for me but pushing the repair button in the DTM tells me it want work as the device cannot connect.

Now I am at the point to have a look at the wipe procedure. I think that is the only way. ... if i can connect with any source!!

I will keep you posted of my progress ... if any  :-))

New Contributor

Gets stuck "during loading" is the problem.

All tools that were suggested require that the DTM or JL_Cmder or BBSAK connect to the PC as "complete loaded"

Sometimes the devive is recogniced in the DTM as a Bold 9900 and with the PIN xxx but that is it.

Update and even repair are impossible when the device isn' t LOADED.

The loading bar stops and that is it. It stays like that until I remove the battery.

Isn't there a way to format,  wipe or restore the software without being connected to any tool on a PC but by pushing a combination of buttons on the device itself?

On a PC you can press one of the "F" buttons and restore your OS from a protected partition. On a router you have a reset button etc..... What does BB offer in such a case? Is there a rest button (maybe inside)? Replace the motherboard? Where? By whom?

I don't know of another to way to reset the device per your suggestion.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Movistar Telefonica

[ Edited ]

Hi, with JL_cmder 1.9.4 i could get a full wipe including apps and files structure, so i think i really empty!! Now i´m going to try with bbdm to flash it again!! When results comes i´ll let you know!!

For the everyone that can´t get the phone connected, pull battery out, put it again and connect usb cable inmediately, when red led appear it´s connected, it get off again, and turn on usb again when start boot loading, mean while the bar rolling it´s connected, so you have to be jl_cmder opened with wipe selected and yes or no selected and blackberry word typed when the loading bar appear, it is connected for a few seconds, so you have to be quick!!

When jl_cmder start connecting to the phone mean while bar loading is rolling, then the app can connect and starts the wipe!! Is the first time that i can get JVM error 507!! Now i´m very hoped to resolved this!!