Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: KPN (Netherlands)

Blackberry 9900 won't turn on, red light flashing

Hello,

I know a lot of people make threads like this, but I could'nt find a solution to my problem... So maybe someone can help me out. 

I'm from the Netherlands and bought my BB Bold 9900 about 1,5 years ago. Till last month I was very pleased with it, it worked fine and I was happy. About a month ago it started acting weird. It would turn itself off when I was receiving a lot of messages (whatsapp, bb messenger, e-mail) or when I made a call. Everytime it died, even when the battery was fully charged. The first few times it woult reset and startup on it's own but after a few days it would'nt anymore. It tried to, but halfway the startup it crashed again, the screen went back and the red light flashed one time. Then it was dead. About two or three minutes later it would try again, with the same outcome; black screen. Only when I put it in a wall charger it would get through the startup. The last few days I took my charger anywhere because my phone would crash about 5 or 6 times a day. Yesterday it crashed again. When I tried to charge it, it did not work. The only thing that happend was the flashing red light. It flashes four times total, (blink.......blinkblinkblink) and that repeats itself. Even when I take the battery out, it flashes. I tried charging it for about two hours, nothing happend. Then I took the battery out for 15 minutes with the device still on the charger. Nothing happend. After 15 minutes I put the battery back and waited the whole night, nothing happend. Only the red flashing light. Even when I connect it to my laptop, nothing happens. The laptop does not recognise the phone, and the phone does not react. 

About six months ago I dropped the phone and now there's a crack in the screen, but that never led to any problems before. The screen was working just fine and so did the phone. I don't think this can be the problem. Does anyone know how I can fix this? 

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Blackberry 9900 won't turn on, red light flashing

Hello and welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Sorry to hear you're experiencing an issue with your device.

To rule out a software issue, backup your data (see KB12487) and perform a software reload as shown in KB11320 How to perform a clean reload of the BlackBerry Device Software for Windows (or if you use Mac see KB19915 Perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software on a Mac computer

Before restoring your data, test the battery performance.

Let us know the outcome.

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Utility Warehouse

This happended ot me once and could not backup becasue phone not recognised by laptop - regeret in the end had to have new phone so hope this doens;t happen to you

livinglifewales
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: KPN (Netherlands)

Unfortunately that's exactly what's going on. When I connect the phone to my laptop nothing happens: the laptop does not recognize the device and the phone does not react in any way. Therefore I cannot backup my data, perform a software reload or anything that has something to do with Blackberry Device Software or my laptop in any way. Isn't there a way to reset the device from the outside?
Highlighted
Super Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: N NetCom

If you have had your phone for about 18 months it might be about time to invest in a new battery.
Sounds like it is something about the battery when it shuts down when you get messages, calls etc..

And the red light when you want to turn on also sound like low batt.

Try it and let us know.
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

tessje6 wrote:
Unfortunately that's exactly what's going on. When I connect the phone to my laptop nothing happens: the laptop does not recognize the device and the phone does not react in any way. Therefore I cannot backup my data, perform a software reload or anything that has something to do with Blackberry Device Software or my laptop in any way. Isn't there a way to reset the device from the outside?

There is a way to do what is called a Force Detect reload, however, you won't be able to backup your data since the device cannot be read.

See KB10144 for steps on how to do the reload. 

If the device cannot be detected using this method then it's advised you contact your point of sale to further investigate.

Let me know how it goes.

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Visitor
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: t-mobile

it dosn't work for me strange thing is that blackberry not looking for een easy solution. i bought the foon 18 monds ago
Regular Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: xl

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

I have the same case, the blinks/flashes you have is 10111

" 101111  Flash Write Failure (*Tip: try replacing flash) "

apparantly it happened to so many 9900 and there is no fix for it.

as you have to replaced an IC Flash which is not possible to do

as it is glued to the mainboard and nobody sells the part.

please visit my thread if you have a chance

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Bold/BOLD-9900-RED-LED-BLINK-10111/td-p/2490093

My Device: Curve 9900
My Carrier: Wind

No, it's not low battery because when I plug it in with out the battery, the same thing happeneds. Can you help me with that, or naw?
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700
My Carrier: zantel

try to download blackberry desktop software...then install it in a computer...find "application loader" on >Computer>local c>program files>common files>research in motion>apploader>delete 'vendor file' at the bottom>then launch>apploader then connect your device>follow instructions..probably remove some application>accept