Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

Blackberry 9930 - Trackpad works...then dies.

I recently purchased a brand new blackberry 9930 from a cell phone store (no contract).  It was packaged brand new.

I came home, unlocked it, as I'm going out of town, and tested it using a t-mobile sim card, worked fine.

All of a sudden, my trackpad started "twitching" and then died.  I followed some advice and did a few (read: hundreds) of battery pulls, and the trackpad would work for a day, then stop.

I then read some other threads about doing a wipe/reload OS, which I did, and again, the trackpad worked great for a day or two, and then die.

I am currently out of the country, and won't be returning for 4 months.  Does anyone have any other options/advice I can follow?

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Blackberry 9930 - Trackpad works...then dies.

If your trackpad works then suddenly doesn't then suddenly works again for a while after a battery pull then suddenly doesn't then once again does after an OS reload then once again doesn't, it's more than likely a software issue as opposed to a hardware issue.  Why the battery pull(s) only worked temporarily is beyond me.  I would suggest one more OS reload to see if it corrects the problem.  If not, the only other solution I can think of is to take it back to Verizon for warranty work, stating what you've done to try to correct the problem.  With you being out of town, you'd have to take it to an out-of-town Verizon location but it appears that nothing you do on the software front is going to help.

I hope that helps you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

Drat.  I was afraid of this.  If it were a hardware problem, I could easily buy a trackpad off ebay and replace it myself, but if it's software...there are no verizon stores anywhere near here (closest I think...is 900 miles?) 

Would verizon still cover the phone if I didn't buy it directly from them?

One thing I forgot to mention was that after unlocking, I saw that "my number" was wrong so I went into ## 000 000 and changed my number + country code...but that shouldn't really mess with it, should it?

New Contributor

I did one more wipe, and it works perfectly!  I'm scared to restart my phone or do a battery pull in case it decides to **bleep** out again.

But thanks!  I'll update.

Elite II

I've had great success reloading the same OS to correct problems. I recommend it anytime a battery pull doesn't work.

To answer your question about whether Verizon would cover a phone that wasn't bought from them: no.

I'm glad things are looking up for you. Keep us posted if the issue comes up again. Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Started glitching again today.  I was outside in the sun, and apparently, some people were having problems with the optical trackpad in the sun.  Took it back inside into an AC room, and problem disappeared for a few hours.  Later on, problem returned.  

I then wiped + reloaded the OS, and it started working perfectly.

I googled this problem and went through dozens of threads, and one of the threads said to put a piece of paper between the battery + phone, to create some sort of a barrier.  I followed this advice and the trackpad went dead. 

I took out the piece of paper, accepting my defeat, and then when the phone restarted, the trackpad was back to being fully functional! 

What gives?  I'm going to try and replace the trackpad and see if this solves the problem.  If not, I'll just accept that I was sold a lemon, count my losses, and move on.

Oh, to add, I'm going to not do a single thing on this phone.  Meaning, I will not use it for the next 24 - 48 hours, using a backup phone.  I figure that if I make no calls, send no texts, receive no e-mails on the phone, and the trackpad still dies after, it "should" be a hardware problem, no?  

Elite II

I've heard of people having issues with trackpads when using them in the hot sun.  Perhaps avoiding the sun as much as possible might be your only option.  If you bought the phone with no contract, you might have trouble getting warranty work on it.  A lot of sun isn't good for us and now we know maybe it's not that good for our BlackBerry phones.

We'd appreciate being kept up to date on any developments.  Smiley Happy

New Contributor

So it's been a week since I've turned on my phone, and have done nothing to it except test out the trackpad every now and then.  The trackpad still works!  So, it's pretty definitive that it's the OS...which is irritating.

I'm going to try and downgrade the OS to 7.0 and hopefully it'll fix the issue, if not, I'll use the touchscreen only.

Elite II

I've found the many variations of OS 7.1 to be quite stable.  If you like the features that are included in 7.1, perhaps looking for a different variation (i.e. 7.1.0.555 instead of 7.1.0.222, as an example) might help your situation.

Whatever you decide to do, we appreciate you keeping us in the loop.  Smiley Happy

New Contributor

Strange phenomenon.  It's been a few weeks since I've left the phone on, with no activity on it, except to check the trackpad once in a while.  Today, I checked it and the trackpad had died entirely.  I performed a hard pull a few times, with no effect.

I then found a random Yahoo Answers post that said to place a business card under the battery.

Sounded ridiculous enough to work, and thus, I cut out an index card and put the battery back on, and voila! My trackpad's back!  Oh boy.  I'm going to purchase a trackpad replacement kit and see what I can do with this.