Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000, Bold 9700
My Carrier: du - United Arab Emirates

Blackberry BOLD 9700 SMS New Bug Detected - 5.x.x.x OS Version Bug!

Hi All,

I have the Blackberry Bold 9000 for a long time and never faced any problem with it till the latest OS update.

I decided to move a step forward and go with the latest technology (as a Software/Hardware Engineer) and upgrade to the BlackBerry Bold 9700 which I bought it 72 hours ago!

Since I bought it and I had and still having a problem with the SMS text messages.

First, When I tried to retrieve or transfer my old SMSs from the Bold 9000, I got them all under one Contact name. Then I tried to send SMSs I noticed that the OS doesn't recognize but the FIRST Contact I sent to and keep sending any SMS to the same FIRST contact no matter what contact I select or a number I type (usually including the international Key and Country Code.

When this problem happened, I tried to update the software online and here you go … nothing has changed!!!

I went to replace the handheld as I was advised by the store I bought it from, and I was shocked to find out that ALL the stock having the same problem!!!!!!!!!

I investigated by phone and I found out that the Whole country is having the same issue!

The Sales rep. was very helpful and gave me the link to your forum where it has been reported as a bug and how to solve it by replacing the COD file for the net_rim_bb_sms_compose.cod.

I managed to replace that file myself as a Technical Engineer …. And for the first moment I thought that the issue was solved … but NOT!!!!!

I only can now send to different contacts different SMSs with no fear to mess up things by sending the SMS to the wrong person!!!

Now, another bug I found  …. When you try to send an SMS to SAME MOBILE NUMER (last 7 digits) but with TWO DIFFERENT CARRIERS … like my personal two lines I have ( for example: +971501234567 and +971551234567)  the following happens:

• IF I used the 1st number first to send to … when I try to send to the 2nd number it goes to the 1st number !!!!
  • IF I used the 2nd number first to send to … when I try to send to the 1st number it goes to the 2nd number !!!!
  • You have delete the 1st number's message to be able to send to the 2nd number!!!

Technically, I guess it is the CHAT interface in general as I tested that with all my friends that have the 5.x.x.x OS version on their BBs regardless to the model if Bold 9700 or Storms …. Same problem is there!!! ….. The Bold 9000 which has the 4.6.x.x OS as it doesn't have the CHAT interface never had/has this bug …. So, I guess it all comes from the CHAT interface itself as all BBs with no CHAT interface for the SMSs are working great!

Should I regret upgrading to BlackBerry Bold 9700 ?!?!!??!?!?!?!?!

Should I regret the amount of money I invested in that device in order to go on with the latest Tech ????!!!!!

Should I go back to buy regular Handhelds?!?!!??!?!!

HELP !!!!

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry BOLD 9700 SMS New Bug Detected - 5.x.x.x OS Version Bug!

All of devices with OS 5 will have this "threaded SMS" style SMS messaging, including those on the 9000 who have upgraded.

The glitch/bug you mention of all SMS flowing through one contact name has been fixed in later builds of the OS. So, you might choose to upgrade the device OS to a later release.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9700-series-discussion-bold-2/223354-latest-os-9700-5-0-0-99...

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9700
My Carrier: Tmobile

This chat interface thing drives me crazy. I think its they way its implemented, the window where you type your own stuff is so small. Sometimes it just clears the text you are typing on its own. the whole thing is buggy. They should have kept an option to revert to the old full page view style if needed. Good luck with your fix, other than that the Bold 9700 is a better phone.

New Contributor

Dear J Sanders,

Again will ask you to read what I wrote carefully ... the new bug i mentioned is a glogal bug in ALL OS ver. 5.x.x.x. devices ... no matter what is the device if it is Storm, Bold, or whatever! ... any device will install the OS ver. 5.x.x.x will have the following problem:

If you try to send SMS to the same number but for TWO DIFFERENT CARRIERS .... you won't be able unless you delete the first SMS to be able to send to the other number ... for examble I have the same Mobile number with TWO DIFFERENT CARRIERS .... as +971501234567 and +971551234567, the digits in RED represtns the Carrier code.

If ANY DEVICE WITH OD Ver 5.x.x.x will try to send to the FIRST number an SMS and then try to send the SECOND number .... BOTH SMSs will go to the FIRST number you sent to unless you delete the first SMS after sending, by then you will be able to send to the SECOND number .....

It is a bug that you hardly can face unless you have the same number with TWO DIFFERENT carriers ...

I have tested that with all the ppl that have BB with OS ver 5.x.x.x ....

With OS ver 4.6 .... you will NEVER face such a problem as I have my old BBB with Ver 4.6 OS ....

So please test this before replying to my post here and then come back with the fix!

You can try to SMS me on my Personal numbers if you would like ... you can email me directly to have them!

P.S. That's the way to troubleshoot any bug by following the same Senario and find out if it is happening or NOT!

Highlighted
New Contributor

I agree ... there should be a property (option) to convert back to the old interface .....