Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Movistar

Blackberry Bold 9000 Low Application Memory

[ Edited ]

I always seem to have my application memory lower thank 5mb, the highest its been was 6mb. I've seen that the app memory that comes with it is 126mb or something like that.

Info:

I live in Argentina, my carrier is called Movistar

Device Version: 3.2

OS Version = 5.0.0.1067

I have Inserted a Media Card

Free App space: 1.6mb

Free Space in Device: 850mb

Free Space in Media Card: 1.7gb

Third Party Apps I have: Copter (242544bytes) Memory Booster (129632) Whatsapp (4858896) They are all Up to Date

And I also have Facebook (2840884) I have deleted all the games the BB comes with except BrickBreaker, and deleted the help app. 

Things I casually do to increas AM:

Use this memory booster app

Battery Pull

Clear the Event log

(I don't like to erase messages so I don't)

Check if anything that i'm not using is runing(holding menu button) and if something is, close it.

Question: How come if my bb comes with 126mb of app memory, and I reduced the use in my phone, why do I have 5mb of app memory? Is this normal in a Bold 9000? Is there a fix?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry Bold 9000 Low Application Memory

Hello!

Application Memory -- This is the most crucial; it is the protected (not user accessible), dedicated, and fixed (in size) space that is available as the destination for the installation of the OS and all applications (plus some application storage, overhead and such). You cannot touch AppMemory. You cannot improve the maximum AppMemory that your BB has. It is what it is. Applications can only install here...there is no option.

Here are some guidelines to use:

• KB02843What is the Low Memory Manager feature on the BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB14320How to maximize free space and battery power on the BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB14213Call logs, SMS text messages, and email messages are deleted from the BlackBerry smartphone

With a limited amount of AppMemory, one must find the combination of OS, OS options, add-on apps, and AppMemory stored data to keep on their BB that best matches their needs and usage patterns. You cannot alter the amount of AppMemory on your BB...all you can do is slim down as much as possible things that you don't use (e.g., languages, games, etc.) and try to manage within that total as best you can.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

i'm not looking to expand it, im just looking to free some of it up, cuz i know people with the ezxac same phone, and they have like 50mb of app memoery, and i barely have 10mb....
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

And the KBs I linked above (especially the middle one) are exactly all about how to accomplish what you desire...

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

ok see, i had already done all the things in those links, but why dont i ahve the amount of app memorty my freinds have? and my friends have the same apps as me..
Hall of Famer III

You would have to compare, item by item, including the exact OS that is installed, as well as OS options (e.g., languages), in order to know if you should see the same amount of free AppMemory. Further, you both would have to have the exact same size of databases (Messages, Contacts, etc.) as well. It is very hard to compare to another BB given the variables that can so easily exist.

But, if you are concerned, you could reload your OS, apps, and restore your data to see if perhaps that gains back anything for you.

Good luck!

Highlighted
Contributor

Ok will do, thanks a lot!
Should I backup and restore and see if anything happens?
Hall of Famer III

Well, if all you do is backup and restore, nothing will change...since you will simply replace your existing data on top of itself. You need to include an OS reload process as well. Robot wink

As for if anyone "should" backup...I have this philosophy:

• There are two kinds of computing device users -- those who have lost data, and those who will

Regular backups are, quite simply, not optional...especially for those who have already migrated from the latter to the former.

Good luck!