Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry Bold 9000 Memory Problems

Hi guys,

A few weeks ago my Blackberry Bold started to have some serious memory problems that have gotten worse the more I have tried to correct them. The hourglass appears constantly whenever I unlock the phone, open applications and try to send messages. The most frustrating part is with regard to Blackberry Messenger which i use frequently throughout the day. When I go to open Blackberry Messenger conversations the hourglass appears for sometimes up to 2 or 3 minutes, and when the conversation finally does open up it immediately closes, so that it has become almost impossible to use. I am doing battery pulls I would say 25 to 30 times a day now, and though this mostly allows me to get back into the Blackberry Messenger conversations for a while, the problem comes back soon enough. I've deleted all my 3rd party applications, as well as removed my 8GB Micro-SD card in the hope of allowing the phone to operate faster, but with no success.

I generally charge my Blackberry each night when I go to sleep, and take it out when I wake up, and I run Wi-Fi almost constantly because the 3G signal where I live is quite poor. My OS is v4.6.0.247 (Platform 4.0.0.206), I have 16.75 MB of free applocation memory, though sometimes this comes up as 20.1 MB, and i have 845.1 MB of free device memory from 859.2 MB. I am currently on a plan with Smartone Vodafone in Hong Kong where I live, though I don't see why that would affect the phones operations.

Hopefully someone can help me with the problem, as it has become infuriating to the point that I have almost thrown it at the wall in anger several times.

Thanks in advance.

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Blackberry Bold 9000 Memory Problems

You didn't mention it, but is the OS release you're running the latest one offered by your carrier? I noticed that I have more memory after I updated to a later version of the OS than the one provided by my carrier. The latest Bold OS released to date is 4.6.0.303. If you want to try to update to that OS release just follow the steps at the top of this website.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9000-series-discussion-bold/

After you do a battery pull is you memory that low? If you do an ALT+Escape key that should show you the apps running in the background. Which apps are running?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)
My Carrier: AT&T

There is also a new BlackBerry Messenger application available. Could be that helps.

Do you get the hour glass in any other application besides BBM?

New Contributor

Smartone Vodafone have never actually offered to update the OS on my Blackberry, instead I just did it myself the last time. And no, there are no applications running in the background other than the usual ones like Phone and E-Mail - but I don't think you can even close these.

And thoughts?

Elite I

Is the OS you're running the latest one for the Bold? Did you also try the other suggestion of updating to BBM 5.0?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)
My Carrier: AT&T

I wasn't asking if you had other application running, although that was a good thing to check. I was asking if you had any problems running other applications besides BBM, or is BBM the only application giving you problems?
New Contributor

I haven't updated the OS or BBM yet, but the phone has taken another nosedive for the worse. When its locked now, even if I hit a button the hourglass comes up, and comes up for anything on the phone like pressing a button, bringing up another application or when I am typing. Other applications didn't run as badly as BBM, but then again I use BBM the most. I'm pretty confident its a phone problem or OS problem and not one related to BBM. On the weekend I'll update the OS and BBM and see what that does. Is there anything I should do before updating the OS? I know that last time I did, it said it had backed everything up on my computer but I still lost all of my calendar appointments and dates etc. For example, I have a lot of saved SMS messages and e-mails that I really don't want to lose, what steps can I take to ensure they remain safe?

Also, where can I download the new BBM? Does anybody have a link?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Elite I

Well to be save you can do a backup before you update the OS on your phone. So before going through the Application Loader you can go into the Backup and Restore and do a full backup first. That way if anything does wrong during the OS update you know you'll have a backup.

If you use the App World you can download in from there on the BlackBerry. Or if want to trry from your PC you can do so from this link:

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/3729

Let us know how the update goes

New Contributor

Hello,

can somebody please explain the difference between application free memory and device memory ?

On my BB 9000 the application memory runs out frequently. When I reboot, it goes up to 35 Mb MAX. While the device free memory is running at 850 MB...Is this normal ?

I have to reboot every 2 or 3 days.

Thanks for your help.

Pablo GB

New Contributor

I agree.  Has anyone gotten back to you, yet?   I have almost 900Meg of "free space", but only 21meg of Application space left.  Since I save all of my files, etc, to my SD card, I would love to make use of that space with applications, etc.  If anything, use it as active memory for applications to run so that the BOLD can run better.