Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Blackberry Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Blackberry Bold 9650 is locked - HELP!!!!

I've had this phone for just over a year.  So far....so good.

The other night, my 1 yr old son was playing with the phone, so I locked the keyboard like always so he doesnt call China.
So, after a few hours, I picked up my phone off the coffee table & it didnt light up.  I was afraid he ruined the screen by pushing on it or something.

I pulled the battery out, let it sit, then put in back in.....it rebotted, screen lit up then went dark.

I figured, maybe the battery was dead.  So I put it on the charger over night.

The time displayed on the screen while it was plugged in.

When I unplugged it, the screen was lit....then went dark.

I wasnt sure if it was on or off, then I heard it vibrate on the counter.  YAY!!!!  It wasnt dead.

Come to find out....its fully charged and receiving calls, emails & texts.  But its going dark as it times out from no activity.  Its not recognizing any keyboard touches at all....power button, nothing.  I tried ALT, SHIFT, DELETE.

The button at the top is the last thing I touched - 2 days ago.  Since, I have pushed that button a hundred more times.  NOTHING.  Its not unlocking.

Is there a key stroke series that lock/unlock that Brendan mysteriously must have hit?

Any home rememdies....or do I have to go wait in line at Verizon for technical support?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Blackberry Bold 9650 is locked - HELP!!!!

There's no telling what buttons Brendan might have hit.  If he inadvertedly set a password on it, with him not knowing it, you're not getting into that phone as you once knew it ever again.  You'll have (maximum) ten attempts to figure it out and I'm betting you won't.  There's nothing Verizon, RIM nor anybody else on this planet can do to get around that.

If you've done data backups, you're in luck.  If you haven't, you've lost all your personal information.  Of course, THIS IS ASSUMING HE (INADVERTEDLY) SET A PASSWORD ON IT.  If it's something else, Verizon might be able to figure it out for you.

I hope that helps you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

My Device: Blackberry Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Bill -  Thank you for the reply. 

I am hopeful he didnt set a password, as the device isnt asking me for one to unlock it.....so hopefully we are good there.

I cant help but think the lock key at the top left is stuck or something....cause it isnt recognizing when I press any of the keys.

Verizon turned on backup assistant for me last year.....so I'm also hoping that has been doing backups regularly.

Do you know if I connect it to my laptop, if I can do anything on the phone, thru the laptop stokes? 

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

If you suspect the phone lock button is perhaps jammed, I believe connecting your phone to a PC will still allow access to it.  Once again, I believe I've heard of this in the past but I don't remember for sure.

Obviously, this is quite an inconvenience to you so taking it to Verizon for a look should probably be done sooner rather than later.

I hope that helps you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.