Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Vodacom
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Bold 9650 suddenly stopped receiving BIS

I am using a Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650 from America on Vodacom in South Africa. I have been using it for a year without any problems. Afew days ago, randomly, I wasnt connected to BIS. I have tried EVERYTHING. The first time i spoke to a Vodacom Consultant, she told me to do a battery pull, didnt work. Also went to Host Routing Table, didnt work.  Eventually she said i must update my OS. After i did this, im even worse off. Now there are no entries in the Host Routing Table and i only have 5 service books.

I have cleared the Event Log and done a security wipe. I also downgraded back to the OS i was using.

I have called Vodacom numerous times and done everything they have suggested. Now this evening, one of their consultants said he couldnt send me the Service Books and that they do not support my model on the GSM network because it was brought in from America (but it has been working for more than a year?!)

Please, do you have any suggestions of what i can do? Vodacom doesnt want to help me because the phone wasnt sold to me by them, even though They are supplying me with my BIS and airtime...

New Contributor

Re: Blackberry Bold 9650 suddenly stopped receiving BIS

Anyone?
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hello,

Please understand that this is a volunteer-supported, user-to-user community...as such, everyone also has lives to live...it is considered customary to wait 24 hours before "bumping" your thread.

In any event...you have a significant challenge ahead. From all I can tell, your BB model is not natively supported by the Vodacom SA network. Which means that their network will not deliver the proper Service Books to your BB so that it can function on their network. And, for some reason (there's no way to know "why"), those are gone from your BB, which is why it no longer works.

What to do? Well, unless the 9650 was supported by them a year ago, then some "magic" was worked by someone to get it to work on their network. That magic needs to be worked again. Basically, you have to find a working (on the Vodacom SA network) BB and extract the SBs from it, then import them to your BB. And, even then, there's no guarantee that it will work at all. It can be quite challenging to use a non-native BB on a carrier network.

Again, there's no way to know why it stopped working...only that it did, and from what you describe, it's the fact of missing Service Books that is the culprit.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thank you for your response. How would i extract the SB's from the other working BB?
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

1. Options > Advanced Options > Service Books
  2. Hold ALT while typing "sbeb"
  3. Should display "Legacy SB Restore Enabled" -- press OK
  4. Tether and launch the RIM Desktop Software (recommend most recent version).
  5. Perform a custom backup, and back up only the service books

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Does this BB need to be the same model type?
Highlighted
Hall of Famer III

No...any BB that is fully functioning on the carrier you wish to run yours on, with all of the services you need, will do.

New Contributor

Okay, i have done that. Now, all my Service Books seem to be how they were/ should be. I still have no entries in the Host Routing Table, when i select Register Now it gives me a pop up saying "registration message sent" but i do not get the message saying "your device has been registered on the wireless network" or something along those lines. Any suggestions? Is this still a fault on my side or my carrier?
Hall of Famer III

I'm sorry...but I'm quite confused now. So far, all I gave you instructions to do was to extract Service Books from the BB that already works on the network you want. Are you saying you've already moved past that and imported them to your BB?

As for the HRT...that must as well be populated...but I know of no "trick" to do that other than the carrier network doing so.

New Contributor

Apologies. Yes, i had jumped ahead and imported them onto my BB.

Thank you for your help.