Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Developer
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

Re: Blackberry Bold 9700 Battery Life

Try to remember which app you've recently updated. If one of the app that runs in the background has a bug, it will drain your battery. Things like Viigo, IM apps, etc.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Swisscom

Same here, one of the first in Switzerland to get it, but I find battery lasts 2 days - this with wireless always off, apps closed, etc.  Guess I will get a replacement from Swisscom...

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

A real battery drainer is Google sync.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

miro2002:

What caught my attention was the front cover of the at&t "Quick Start Guide", under the "STOP - READ FIRST ... you must follow these steps in ORDER" warning, it says to "Charge it Fully" before activating the phone or doing anything else with the phone.

I assumed they wouldn't go to the expense of displaying the warning unless it was at least somewhat important.

Someone else in the thread questioned whether fully charging a lithium battery is actually makes any difference.  Putting aside at&t's warning, I turned to an electrical engineer friend for an answer.  He explained the science behind fully charging the battery.  Although I took three years of college chemistry and physics, he lost me after a few minutes.

So I did what most techno-phobes do, I searched the internet for an answer.  As anticipated there were many forum posts both pro and con.   My friend warned me that Al Gore's internet, like Al himself, is full of well intentioned misinformation and partial truths so take my findings with a grain of salt.

The first interesting thing I found was a warning on the Apple website under a section on extending battery life in notebooks with lithium-ion batteries.  It says: "Be sure to fully charge your portable when you plug it in for the first time."

The next find was the cellpower.com website, hosted a major online retailer of lithium batteries, that says:

"You should fully charge your new battery before using it. Today's Lithium batteries represent the latest technology and ... to ... help ensure optimal performance, we recommend an initial "conditioning" procedure for all new batteries. For the first 3 charge cycles, fully charge the battery and then allow it to nearly fully discharge before fully charging it again. This initial "conditioning" of the battery will help ensure a true "full charge" during the first few charge cycles, ensure the full cell capacity of the battery is being utilized, and condition the battery for optimal performance."

Hmm.  Seems like a retailer would tell you the opposite advice, if halfway true, so they could sell more batteries.

I also found similar warnings on IBM, Motorola and Canon products around the house.

Undoubtedly the debate will continue, but in the meantime I will follow the simple warning.

My Carrier: Rogers

Hello,

I am having the same issues with the battery life...

I am wondering, if it has to do with the trackpad always being active...

Having the Blackberry in your pocket, may set off the trackpad sensor, and keep the phone active, rather than standby... I've noticed my phone gets quite hot after removing it from my jacket pocket, and my battery almost drained completely after about 12hrs of non-use...

I've tried using the lock button at the top, but it does not disable the trackpad.

Any thoughts on how to disable the trackpad from use when locking your phone? I've tried everything so far, and only thing I can think of now, is using the holster, which gets annoying...

Any help on disabling the trackpad when locked, would be very helpful! Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Developer
My Device: BOLD 9700 OS5.0.0.x on Rogers Canada
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

That's brutal. I use my phone as an mp3 player at work, and my battery could last a good two full days of regular use on a single charge.

EDIT: Corrected grammar

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
chown -R us ./base
~J!NX
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Jebus_GT:

First, be sure to "close" or "exit" third-party applications rather than simply using the "back" or "return" button.  Unlike the iPhone, the Bold 9700 is truly able to multitask.  The upside is quicker switching between programs, using multiple programs at once, etc.  The downside is possible battery drain.  I found that several third-party applications, especially weather, syncing and news applications were connecting with the internet every few minutes for updates, unless I properly configured and exited from the program.  Some of the applications, like The Weather Network, AP News and Thomson Reuters appear to keep accessing the internet even after I attempt to properly exit the application, and a second exit is necessary.

The trackpad theory is interesting, but I can get 2-3 days of battery life with moderate use (email, phone, wi-fi, and bluetooth) without storage in my pocket adversely affecting the battery life.  The trackpad is still active in the "Locked" Mode, so instead (or in addition) you might try the "Standby" Mode by depressing the top right corner of Bold 9700 for 2-3 seconds.  Do the same again to restore from Standby Mode.  The trackpad is inactive in Standby Mode, but it might also deactivate some of the third-party applications, so you might not know which feature was draining the battery.  The incoming phone calls and email still work, and the phone will connect via bluetooth with a car hands-free system in Standby Mode, so not everything shuts down.

Also suspect that the carrier, location and signal strength might be a factor.  I live in Dallas where cell coverage is generally good on the at&t system.

Please let us know your experience.

New Contributor
My Carrier: T-Mobile

You know, I too, have started having this same problem. I bought my phone about 1 month ago, and since last weekend the battery has started draining quickly. It usually takes roughly 12 hours to drain completely with moderate use. I have also noticed the phone is very hot when I pull it off any charger (car or home) whether it has been on there for a short time or a long time.

I am reading the posts to see if I can find a solution; however, if not, I am going to request a new phone or battery. I saw on a different site that someone said to download the upgrades for the phone, but I have not done this yet. Does anyone know if that may work?

I checked the applications to see if anything was running...and nothing. And I turned the phone off to sort of 'reboot' it as I wait to see if the battery continues to drain as it has been.

Also, I did follow the instructions in the beginnng and fully charged my phone before use, so I'm not so sure that is the issue with mine.

I will repost in a few days when I find out how things go after I try the upgrade and later this afternoon after 'rebooting'.

Thanx!

New Contributor

I forgot to mention that I also tried turning off the blue tooth and wi-fi connections which I did not have problems with on my last blackberry. I use the blue tooth in my car, so I like to keep that on. Just recently stopped using the wi-fi connection.

New Contributor

Looks like simply 'rebooting' the phone worked! I did not lose much power last night, and it is not running down much today. When it draining quickly, I was losing bars very quickly and would have noticed by now.