Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Developer
My Device: BOLD 9700 OS5.0.0.x on Rogers Canada
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Blackberry Bold 9700 Battery Life

Connections seem to have the largest drain. MSN, for example, constantly needs to connect between the users, and using the application constantly for a few hours drains most of my battery. GPS, especially applications that do not rely on LocationListeners to keep the chip hot (in other words, applications that must constantly scan the skies to obtain an autonomous GPS fix), also has a large impact on battery life. Conversely, I've had my phone running using email and the media player (music) regularly each day for the past 2 months, and even though there's constant drain, I usually have over 60% of my battery left after an 8-hour work day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
chown -R us ./base
~J!NX
My Device: Blackberry 9700
My Carrier: O2

hey

I have a blackberry bold 9700 and i never charged the battery firts before using the phone and the battery life is 2days is this average for the blackberry bold 9700 ?

thankyou

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

There is no standard to battery life, it all depends on apps, connections, call, etc... you use and if you close them when done.

I kept a pearl with no SIM powered up for almost 2 weeks in my desk.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

I am still getting 2 1/2 days to 3 days per charge with moderate phone and email/texting use (150-200 per day).  Leaving the GPS running will cut that time by about half, so I turn off the GPS after locating a restaurant, etc.

In case you missed the March 26, 2010 edition of Newsweek, Steve Wozniak was interviewed by Newsweek reporter Daniel Lyons.  When asked which phone he preferred, Wozniak chose the iPhone, despite its obvious shortcomings:

“Wozniak:  By the way, I solved the problem of battery life and [the lack of] multitasking on the iPhone.

Lyons:  Really?

Wozniak:  Yeah. I just have two iPhones, so if the battery runs down on the first one, I can use the other.  And if I'm talking on one, I can use the other one to look something up.  You would not believe how much use I get out of that.”

Why didn’t I think of that?  What a dork !!!  My business partners can't make it through a SINGLE day without recharging their iPhones and complaining of dropped calls.  Apple = Pretty products for rich dumb blondes.  IMO

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: O2

I recently got a BB 9700 and find that I will only get 12 hours of battery life for about 80% of the battery. In terms of usage I would be very moderate, with maybe an hour of talk time, maybe 2 of browsing time and very few applications running all the time as I alwats 'close or exit' when finished looking. My bluetooth is off so its really just the 3G connection that's constantly running. I have begun to turn my phone completely off at night and leave it charge.

Incidentally when I got the phone the first time, it came on automatically as soon as I put the battery in. It was about 50% charged then.

Cheers,

Fionn (UK)

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

fionnersg:

That is awful battery life.  I have driven over 6 hours with the GPS on and had more than 20% of the battery left.

Wonder if different carriers' networks place different demands on the phones.  Also wonder if different carriers issue different batteries.  Then again, surfing the web for 2 hours could involve considerably more data transfer than reading email all day, and perhaps use more battery power.

Do you put the 9700 in standby mode when not in use?  Do you live/work in an area with good 3G reception?  Do you have the screen timer set to 1 minute or less?  Do you have the screen brightness set to 90 or less?  Do you use WiFi for most of your web browsing?  Have you updated to the latest device OS?  If yes to all of the above, then ask your carrier to exchange the battery.

Still wonder if fully charging before using has anything to do with battery life ...

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

I've just started to experience this with my 9700 too. Running Google Latitude, Gmail, Facebook Bluetooth & WiFi. Cut some of these out now but no difference.

The point is that I was doing all this before and all was OK.

In fact last night I put it on charge and woke up to a completely dead battery.

Has anyone else had this problem too?

I'll have to keep an eye on my charger lead I think which is remarkably flimsy compared to that of my older Bold.

I did update to the 5.1.0.146 OS about 10 days ago hoping that BB would have got rid of this stupid password locking nonsense (sadly not) but all was OK for the first few days.

My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Wind

Hi all,

I've had 9700 for 4 month now but recently the battery life went not down but worst... In 10 hours battery dies... Nothing been changed phone did had any damages, no new apps was installed and so on! Anyone has an idea what may happened??? Thank you. 

PS: before that battery life was 3-4-5 days...

My Carrier: Bell

I have owned the 9700 for just a couple of weeks and already my battery life only lasts about 7 hours Smiley Sad 

I have two friends who also own the 9700.  One has a fantastic battery and the other is on his third phone because of the battery.

I am going to return my phone while I am still within the 30 days to do so.  I have tried all the above (thank you for the tips by the way) but I am still in the red by 2 in the afternoon.

My Carrier: Vodafone

Hi, has anyone noticed that how you charge the battery on the 9700 makes a difference on the battery life.

If charging using the Plug-in Charger this charges the phone more quickly but the battery does not last as long. I can just about get 12 hours out of it that way

If you charge it up using the USB cable from a computer then this is a much slower charger but this has a pretty big difference on the battery life. I can comfortably get 2 days out if this way (48 hours) which is 4 times as long

Has anyone else experienced this? If not, give it a try and report back.

Thanks

Stu