Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Zain Nigeria

Blackberry Bold 9700 Problems - HELP!

Hi Everyone.

I bought an unlocked t-mobile Bold 9700 in March from buy.com for use in Europe and West Africa where I live (my network carrier is Zain). Right off the bat, the phone locked me out 2 days after I set up and had been using my password. It did a security wipe and rebooted. (At this point it occurred to me that if my BB is stolen, all the thief needs to do is enter the password wrongly a maximum of 10 times which will get the phone 'security wiped' and voila! thief gets a new BB!) Anyway, after the security wipe, I reset my password, taking care to note the numbers I used. Not 10 minutes afterward, I was locked out again. Luckily, I was able to disable the password option. Strangely enough, it accepted the password to allow the disabling. WEIRD. The next problem is the Java execution illegal execution message I started getting every time I switched the phone on. This only started after the security wipe. I have tried removing the battery and sim while phone is off/on, but no luck. The last two problems occurred simultaneously. My Bluetooth function just stopped working. I cannot even access the options on my phone. Also, I cannot access the pictures - I can see them but that's about it. Can't scroll, send or use any of them. I have tried updating the software - nothing. I was going to wipe and reload but after seeing a post in a Crackberry website forum where the person had done the wipe a couple of times and to no avail, I wont bother. I just hope someone has a solution! So, I am pretty frustrated, and more so because I never wanted a BB to start with - hubby hounded me into getting one (which he paid for!) 

Solutions: 6,350
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry Bold 9700 Problems - HELP!

babymi2009 wrote:

It did a security wipe and rebooted. (At this point it occurred to me that if my BB is stolen, all the thief needs to do is enter the password wrongly a maximum of 10 times which will get the phone 'security wiped' and voila! thief gets a new BB!) 

Yep, working as intended. The thief doesn't get your information.

babymi2009 wrote:

I have tried updating the software - nothing. 

You tried and were successful or failed at the update? What happened?

What is your Operating System loaded to your device?
Look at Options > About, third line down beginning with a "v.4.xxx"
What is yours?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor
My Device: various
My Carrier: AT&T

Also, you mentioned you took note of the numbers. Were you holding ALT or SHIFT to type the numbers? It should be ALT. IF you were not holding the ALT key you were typing the letters and NOT the numbers

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Accept as Solution" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the Star on the left of their post.
New Contributor

Hi JS,

Lol - the thief does not get my information but he/she has a blackberry!

The OS is v5.0.0.330.

Updating the software did not help. 

This morning, I tried adding the Bold to the devices on iSync (I use a Mac) and strangely,iSync found it but could not sync with it. However, trying to discover the Bold with my computer's bluetooth failed - it kept saying 1 device was found but it could not update the name.

I am soooo frustrated.

New Contributor

Thanks.

It was the ALT key. I had been using the password for two days prior to when that started.

New Contributor

PS

Does anyone know what the Java exception message I get is about - something about an IllegalArgument?

I really should have stuck with my Nokia E75 - it's got the Edge or push technology and my emails download into my phone at no extra cost.

Just by the way - why do American phone  network providers charge so much? Anytime I am in the US, I appreciate my country more and more. Back home, one only gets charged for OUTGOING calls and messages. Voice message checking is free. If you are on a contract, only your monthly access charge is paid (which by the way is less than $20 and your OUTGOING calls cost about 20 - 40% less than the Pay-As-You-Go tariffs), otherwise, if you do not make any calls, you spend nothing. It's the same in Europe and the rest of Africa as far as I know.

Solutions: 6,350
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

babymi2009 wrote:

Just by the way - why do American phone  network providers charge so much?

There's not that great a difference. If I travel to the EU with my BlackBerry roaming, it'll cost me an arm and leg over there too. So, the large cost is when you're traveling.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Highlighted
New Contributor

No, I was not talking about roaming - that's costly everywhere. 

I am talking about regular charges for phone users within the US.

For example, in the US, your plans give you a particular number of minutes a month, right? You may also be given "free" minutes at weekends or at certain times of the day (off-peak, usually). And these "minutes" include time spent on outgoing AND incoming calls,  and sometimes SMS, right? Some plans do not even have SMS as standard! And you have to ASK for international dialling and SMS too! Plus, there are restrictions on some US numbers you can send SMS to if you do not have the "right" plan. I have a t-mobile phone in the US and it really annoys me when I have to pay for INCOMING & OUTGOING calls.

Well, in Europe and Africa (not sure about the middle East and Asia Smiley Happy ) we have no such limitations. You buy a plan - whether contract or Pay As You Go/Talk - and the only costs you will incur will be the initial costs of purchase and the cost of any OUTGOING calls or SMS. ALL incomings are FREE. And to maintain that phone line, you only need to make 1 chargeable call a quarter. Some give you 6 months, sometimes more before your access is taken away. For the contract lines, as long as you are paying your monthly rental, you do not need to make ANY calls. SMS is standard and you can get BB on Pay As You Go too. My plan in the UK gives me 30 minutes FREE for calls made within the UK, every month. My plan here at home gives me 40% of all calls I make and outgoing SMS. I do NOT pay anything to receive calls or SMS.