Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry bold 9700
My Carrier: orange

Blackberry Bold 9700- trackpad freezing and keys wont respond

Suddenly the other day my trackpad started playing up, it decides when it wants to work and is freezing loads, also my buttons don't seem to be working

If my phone locks and i press a button the screen won't turn on, and takes several presses on the buttons to get any response.

haven't dropped the phone in water, only thing i can think of is dust.

can anyone help?! Smiley Sad

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry Bold 9700- trackpad freezing and keys wont respond

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Best!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

tried all this, even tried restoring my phone to a previous date, nothing seems to work Smiley Sad

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

chlor2011 wrote:

tried all this,

Please enumerate all that you've already tried so that we can avoid further redundancy.

chlor2011 wrote:

even tried restoring my phone to a previous date

Well, the problems you are having have to do with the OS, not the data. Restoring as you've said would only affect data, not the OS. You should try also an on-device WIPE, as well as a clean OS reload.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

i have tried:

• soft reset
  • hard reset
  • restore to previous date
  • wiped all downloaded applications

think thats all

how do i do a clean os wipe?

Hall of Famer III

chlor2011 wrote:

• restore to previous date

Restoring only affects data...not the actual OS or installed apps. If the problem is in the OS or installed apps (and I suspect that to be so), then this would have no effect.

chlor2011 wrote:

• wiped all downloaded applications

Hmmm...I can't tell from those words...is what this KB describes what you did?

• KB14058 How to delete all data and applications from the BlackBerry smartphone using the Security Wipe option

If so, then that's what I was going to next recommend, so we can skip that if you've already done it.

Which leaves a true WIPE and OS reload.

I suggest the following steps (insert plenty of reboots of your PC...not just restarts, but full power down reboots). Also, it is advised that you be logged into the PC on an account with full admin rights. Further, under Vista/Win7, use the "Run As Administrator" option for everything.

Further, it has also been reported that when your user profile on windows (type 'echo %userprofile%' in the command prompt) contains spaces, then the installer will not work. In order to solve this issue, log out of your Windows account and log back in using the local Administrator account (or any other account name without spaces) and install the desktop (for all users).

1) Remove all device OS update package(s) from your PC (add/remove programs)

2) Cleanly uninstall the RIM Desktop Software:

• KB02206 How to perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software
    • Some have reported the use of a registry cleansing tool to also be helpful

3) Get a fresh download of the RIM Desktop Software:

4) Download (to your PC) a fresh copy of your device OS package from your carrier:

5) Install the Desktop Software to your PC -- do not run it yet

6) Install (also to your PC), the device OS package -- do not run it yet

7) Download to your PC the BBSAK utility

8) Install BBSAK to your PC

9) Launch BBSAK and use it to perform a WIPE and OS reload

Hopefully that will get things going again. 

Good luck and let us know!

New Contributor

Followed all your instructions still no use, the t button is plaing up so i dont know if that is affecting the trackpad, when i press any buttons on the keypad a T will come up, even leaving my phone alone the T button with press on it own Smiley Frustrated 

Hall of Famer III

Hmmm...well, then the only thing left that I can think of is something physical, which only a qualified hardware technician, with the device in their hands, can properly diagnose. If you are still under warranty, then you would be well advised to seek warranty evaluation, which you see from your original place of purchase of the device.

Good luck!

New Contributor

i think i may be getting the iphone soon anyway so i probably wont bother with that, blackberrys are rubbish :L 

Hall of Famer III

Sheesh...you're welcome, I guess. Goodbye.