Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700
My Carrier: O2
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Bold 9700 won't turn on and keeps rebooting!

I've only had my Blackberry Bold for about 2 months. The camera was being a little funny and won't zoom so I switched off my phone and took out the battery and replaced it to try and reboot the phone. Now it won't turn on!

When the battery is in the Red LED light at the top right corner lights up then goes off when the Phone starts up showing the BLACKBERRY Logo on the screen with the Loading Bar underneath. The bar then shows that it is loading but almost immediately it crashes and switches off. It does this repeatedly though I've tried removing and replacing the battery several times.

I'm sure it is not a problem with the battery as I had only charged it the previous night and even tried using another battery from my friends Blackberry just to double check but the phone continues to repeatedly turn on, crash, turn off.

Does anybody have a similar problem or know a solution? Thanx!

Visitor
My Device: bold 9700

Re: Blackberry Bold 9700 won't turn on and keeps rebooting!

i don't have a solution, but my blackberry just started doing the EXACT same thing as yours. just wondering if you had found a solution, any help would be awesome

My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Orange

Hmmm Is this a common problem. I have almost the exact same problem although I geta error message on the screen.  The error message is that small I had to get a magnifying glass to read it. It reads:

JVM Error 517

Does anyone know what that means.

Orange said upgrade the software but my desktop manager cannot see the device?

New Contributor
My Carrier: O2

Hey Guys!

I did manage to fix my blackberry! Smiley Very Happy

The best and probably the only solution to a blackberry caught in an endless cycle of rebooting/or always displaying error messages is to perform a "Clean Reload of your Blackberry Device Software"!

I found 2 websites most helpful!

This website is by Blackberry Research in Motion themselves which teaches you how to perform a clean reload. It requires for you to have your Blackberry USB cable at hand and Blackberry Manager installed on your computer. It has a clear step to step process there! However there is a bit that confused me at first so just to clarify...at step 4 where they ask for you to check you do have the latest software installed...if your Device Software Tab is blank as shown in step 3 it means that you currently have NO SOFTWARE INSTALLED and so should follow the link shown in step 4 (or pasted below) to download (then install) the most current software for your blackberry device model and service provider before performing a clean reload.

For a Clean Reload:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB11320

To Download the latest Device Software:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB12532

NOTE: When doing a clean reload you may find that initially the Blackberry Manager would show your blackberry as "Disconnected". If the Manager continues to install/reload the device software onto your blackberry without any complications I wouldn't worry too much about this because once the clean reload is completed and your device reboots the Blackberry Manager would then show your device as "Connected".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second website (Unofficial Blackberry Forum) basically explains/uses the same process however it is a little outdated and I have found some differences in the Blackberry Manager software they have used and some of the steps may no longer apply. However it is helpful if you find that you are having difficulty in getting your blackberry device connected to your desktop manager as the constant rebooting MAY cause the device to connect and disconnect continuously, this website may be helpful in getting over that problem. I personally did not have this problem though I anticipated it which may be a result of newer Blackberry Device Models and Device Software etc.

To get over the constant connect and disconnecting of your Blackberry Device from the Blackberry Desktop Manager:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-lecture-12-how-reload-operating-system-nuked-blackberry

Hope this helps!!! Smiley Wink x

My Carrier: o2

Hi,

I just updated the latest software to my blackberry bold 9700 yesterday. today while i was setting up my emails, it told me there is an update so i downloaded that. the phone asked me to reboot the phone, so I clicked reboot. and since then it would show the red led light, the blackberry sign and the stick underneath.. it will fill it all up but then nothing would happen it would just keep staying like that. while i let it stay after an hour, it showed a white screen saying connecting to desktop. then it started staying like that. so i pulled the battery in and out several times with and without the media card. and no difference still doesnt work. please help somebody Smiley Sad(

ps. the clean reload. does it delete everything you have?

New Contributor
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: Globe Telecom

Hi! I'm having the same problem with my BB device. I pulled out the battery after I downloaded an app for rebooting. At first it loads all the way until maybe 60%, and then it got stuck on that screen, I waited for an hour but still nothing happens. I tried to connect it to my PC and to the desktop manager but it asked for my device password. I entered my password but nothing happens. I entered it again and again until I ran out of attempts to input my password.
I hope you could help me with this..I'm losing hope already

Thanks!
My Carrier: Rogers

I have this problem and have tried your suggestion at least 50 times on two different computers and both times it seems like the BB cycles off before it connects properly. 

My desktop manager starts to open during the process which I didn't see happen in the video demo, could this be my problem?  If so, how do I stop it from opening?

I have a BB Bold 9700 and would really love to get it back working again.

Thanks for any help,

Julie

New Contributor
My Device: 9780 BOLD,9900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

have you since fixed the issue?
My Device: blackberry 9700 bold
My Carrier: 9700bold

hello  i had a same problem but mine docent reboot it come on the the blackberry logo come and the bar untill the bar is finnish i have to wait until 1 or 3 mint then it come with a white background  say blackberry

do you know what happened with my phone

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Claro

Hello One week ago I was using my BB, it was almost without battery charge, and notice that the screen doesn't turn off, then decide pull out battery for reboot it, after that cellphone turn on red led for few seconds and begin to load OS, after a little time cellphone turn off and restart again, it's in a loop. My BB Bold 9700 keeps rebooting. The first option is not possible because the cellpchone restart continuously and never is detected by computer. I tried second option but when OS is installing cellphone restarts again, and of course disconect itself of computer. I tried lots of times second option but always is the same problem, my BB keeps rebooting. I follow step by step instructions. Do you have another idea? I will appreciate your help Thanks