Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Bell

Blackberry Bold 9780 Charging and Battery Problems!

Device info

Your carrier: Bell

Blackberry Bold 9780 running OS6

Yesterday throughout the day my bold was doing some very strange things.

After charging it fully, I was using it during the day and I would get a warning that my battery was dangerously low (the red battery that appears when it is to low for radio use) but I could still use all functions of my phone (calling, texting, bbm, etc).  It would then jump back up to almost full battery.  This kept occurring every hour or so.

So that night, I put it to charge like usual and in the morning I went to go unplug it and my phone shut off.  After doing a battery pull, and plugging it back in to charge multiple times, the 2 outcomes that kept occurring were either a short red light followed by a blank screen, or an extremely long red light followed by a battery with a red x through it screen (pic below).  At that point I got very frustrated and left it plugged into the charger the rest of the day thinking that the battery was actually dead and that it needed to charge. 

When I returned home much to my dismay the screen still had that red x battery.  After doing the same battery pull and attempted charge as before, I managed to get it booted up for about 5 minutes before it froze and another battery pull was needed.  Now the phone is doing the same blank or red x battery screens everytime I try to boot it up.

Thanks for your help and time, any information on how to start it up is appreciated.

(note: that's not my phone, just the same screen)

bb red x.jpg

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Blackberry Bold 9780 Charging and Battery Problems!

I read somewhere about a "cryptographic battery." Perhaps your battery has failed, and the phone is thinking that it isn't a legitimate battery? Or, it simply won't hold any kind of a charge anymore?

Do you have a friend with the same model phone? Can you visit your carrier's store, and see what a different battery (or your battery in a different phone) does? This would help isolate the problem to the battery or the phone.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Bell

thanks for the help, and yes im going to the bell store today.  I got it booted it yesterday just long enough for me to back everything up.  I went to charge it after i finally got it started, and when i clicked to back button to get out of bedside mode to see if it was charging, my phone restarted and had the same red x battery.  After a few more times, i found out if i even slightly put my finger over the end, back or trackpad the phone would restart.  After just leaving it to charge overnight hoping that it was charging, i woke up and unplug it to find out it had not, now the phone is completly dead and shut off perminantly.  Hopefully Bell will have the answer.

Thanks again!

My Device: blackberry bold 9780
My Carrier: vodafone Greece

I have the same problem after 20 days I have use the bb 9780 

when I went  to vodafone to test the phone  they  told me that the battery is dead

and i have to pay for  a new battery because the battery is does not have a warranty 

after working wiht i phone for 4 years and no problems i will go back to iphone 

i will never get a blackberry again 

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)
My Carrier: AT&T

Feel better?

If you want help, we'll try. If you just want to complain, you've accomplished your task.