Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Safaricom Kenya

Blackberry Bold 9790 freezing

I have had my Bold 9790, bought brand new last July and everything seemed to work fine uptil now..

Of recent, ive noticed that my handset hangs a lot and has become slow in responsiveness - doesnt luch applications such as inbox, bbm, broswer etc as fast..

I have Whatsapp installed and i thought maybe the storage would be affecting the handset but upon even deleting/trasnfering all media and history, it still has not made any difference.

Another issue - the bold 9790 is supposed to have 8GB internal memory - yet mine shows 6GB only.. can someone advise on this?

I look forward to receiving your replies.

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry Bold 9790 freezing

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, see what happens.

If the behavior ceases, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

But if the behavior continues in Safe Mode, then you may need to consider more drastic actions -- WIPE, OS Reload, BBSAK Wipe/Reload, and the "Bare Bones" OS Reload Process. To prepare, you should be sure that you have a full backup to your PC...please review the Backup link in my auto-sig on this post for instructions.

You may also need the use of these tricks:

milindmajithia wrote:

Another issue - the bold 9790 is supposed to have 8GB internal memory - yet mine shows 6GB only.. can someone advise on this?

Please clarify exactly where you are seeing only 6GB of total Device Memory...are you sure you are not looking at the consumed or free amount, rather than the total?

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Safaricom Kenya

Thank you for the message. I'be been travelling hence havent had the chance to restart the handset in safe mode. as soon as i am able to do so, i shall send feedback.

As for the memory issue, i see the 6GB in the options>device>storage>built in media storage> total space 6GB. Free space is 5.8GB. Please advise if this is correct to view the storage or is there another way, and alos if this should be 8Gb instead of 6GB.

thanks.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

milindmajithia wrote:

Thank you for the message. I'be been travelling hence havent had the chance to restart the handset in safe mode. as soon as i am able to do so, i shall send feedback.

OK.

milindmajithia wrote:

As for the memory issue, i see the 6GB in the options>device>storage>built in media storage> total space 6GB. Free space is 5.8GB. Please advise if this is correct to view the storage or is there another way, and alos if this should be 8Gb instead of 6GB.

I think that the method you are using to display is showing you a subset of the total Device Memory storage -- the amount allocated for media and such. But, Device Memory contains a lot more than that. In any event, here are other methods by which to view available storage:

On some devices/OS levels, you can only see "File Free" (Options > Status), which I think is equivalent to AppMemory. On other devices, you can see all three memory usage levels (Options > Memory). Here are some guidelines to use:

• KB02843What is the Low Memory Manager feature on the BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB14320How to maximize free space and battery power on the BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB14213Call logs, SMS text messages, and email messages are deleted from the BlackBerry smartphone

You might get errors on those articles right now...the KB system seems to be un-well at the moment. I was searching for actual KB articles that discuss the ways to display memory for you, but I can't search now...perhaps you will have better luck later on.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................