Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9780
My Carrier: DiGi

Blackberry Bold 9900 or Blackberry Torch 9810?

Hey guys,

I've been thinking on getting a new BB, but I just can't decide on getting the Bold 9900 or the Torch 9810, because the specs are more or less the same. It would be great if someone could let me know which 1 is better. It would also be great if you can share with me the flaws of these two BB. TQ so much.
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry Bold 9900 or Blackberry Torch 9810?

It';s really going to be a personal decision of which device feels better in your hands.

Do you want the full Bold 9900 keyboard, or the slightly smaller 9810 hard keyboard AND the virtual keyboard?

Those are the biggest differences in the two devices. If you have not held and played with either, I'd recommend you do.

Personally, I like the 9810.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

I see... From the appearance, I do prefer the Torch, (well,it's prettier) but I'm having 2nd thoughts due to the sliding design. It's hard to explain.. It's just that I love the design,but I'm afraid if 1 day I'd regret for getting a slide one instead of the open Qwerty keypad, because from my personal experience, a slide phone is not the best design for a phone & sometimes it's quite troublesome to slide the keypad whenever u want to reply a message & yes,I do prefer the physical keypad than the virtual. I do love having the ability to type on a touch screen & also have the physical keypad. But the thing is that they both have touch screens,but only the Torch has the virtual keypad. Both have big screen. But I do prefer a portrait rather than the landscape orientation.

But I did hear quite a few of complaints about the camera on the 9900,but not specifically. Wondering if u know anything about it.

I'm using the 9850 (same as the 9810 without the sliding keyboard).

I really like the virtual keyboard both portrait and landscape.

Basically, the 9810 can be used the same way.

And yea, if you're a big camera user, I am 'told' you may not like the 99xx camera.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

About the "portrait landscape" thing, I was actually referring to for example like setting pictures as wallpaper. I just prefer the portrait screen than the landscape one. :-p

What is the problem with the 9900 camera actually?

And I have read quite a few complaints about the battery life on the 9900 also. Strange. 'Cos I thought the newer BBs had better battery lives.

The 9900 does not have the autofocus feature we accustomed to in previous Bolds.

That kills taking close up pictures of text and such that needs a tighter focus.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

No autofocus? OMG! That is SO lame! How could they have missed that! I used to have an iPhone 3G which didn't have an autofocus, it really bugged me. Thanks so much for telling me that. But the Torch 9810 has autofocus, right? Haha.

Have u heard any problems with the 9810? So sorry for asking all these questions, but I find ur info is really helping me choose Smiley Happy

Well, they didn't "miss" it, it was intentionally left out for the thinner device.

I don't know of any overall issues with the 9810.

Knowledge Base Updates
Highlighted
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9810
My Carrier: Rogers

its all personal preference. I noticed you're coming from a Bold where it would feel natural where a torch would seem alot bigger. I have a Torch 9810, came from a 9800 and before that a curve 8900 and although I've never been a fan of slider phones (after cracking my 9800) i can tell you this. It is overall a GREAT phone, I love the size of the screen since its close to an iPhone. I get a day out of the battery with moderate use (being a teenager thats addicted to texting). I want the bold 9900 but I dont know if I'd like the smaller screen. Its all up to you, personally the Bold 9900 would be good for you since its close to your old Bold, but if you want a change go for the Torch Smiley Wink